Game Programming video/audio tuts

Started by
2 comments, last by bschneid 17 years ago
I watched a video tutorial for 3ds modeling, and i was very impressed. It sure beat reading tutorials on the net and trying to carry it over into 3ds max. Also I found that listening to somebody talk so that you can model at the same time really handy. This makes perfect sense for visual arts, because there is actually a lot the person doing the teaching needs to show during the tutorial. It made me wonder how useful video tutorials for programming would be. I know there is no direct reason for having video for programming the way there is a need for video while learning 3ds max, however I can think of a few indirect ways video would help while learning to program. For instance, when trying to do something complicated for the first time, the code one would have sort through is really large, and half the time you're just looking for those one or two lines in the mist of setup code that are important. Also, with video/audio programming it makes it easier to follow along rather than just copy/paste bits of a tutorial. I'm actually interested in starting a site that would host audio and video programming tutorials for games, but there don't seem to be any around today and I'm starting to wonder why. Is it because people would rather read about programming? is it because videos would take up too much bandwidth? I'm just looking for opinions/comments/suggestions on the idea. I'm posting this in the beginners section because beginners here are probly constantly on the lookout for a good tutorial, and are familiar with the problems of learning to program. thanks for your input.
Advertisement
C++ Game Programming Video Tutorials. It goes over programming a Text Based RPG in C++. I find them very good.

Also, if you want to start a site...then that would be nice. Thing is about programming tutorials related to games (espically video ones I think), they are to much where you just must do it there way. I like the Wrath Lands one, as he does go over some important concepts IMO. Good luck with it.

Chad.

Thanks for reply. I quickly watched one of the vids on that site you linked to. not bad, however I noticed there were an awful lot of pauses while the author typed in generic accessor functions. I was thinking about something a litte more fast paced, with bits of code pre-prepared, and some graphics to aid in the visualization of data structures etc. Also i'm really not sure what you mean by
"Thing is about programming tutorials related to games (espically video ones I think), they are to much where you just must do it there way."

Another question I ment to ask was: "Are torrents a good way to go with hosting this kind of video?"
Quote:Original post by arbuckle911
I'm actually interested in starting a site that would host audio and video programming tutorials for games, but there don't seem to be any around today and I'm starting to wonder why. Is it because people would rather read about programming? is it because videos would take up too much bandwidth? I'm just looking for opinions/comments/suggestions on the idea.

While there are certain advantages to video tutorials, I think that most people just find traditional tutorials more useful. It might be ok to follow exactly as a beginner, but as Chad hinted at, many times taking bits and pieces of tutorials and doing them your way is more helpful. To do this might require multiple references, not as easily accessed and referencable in a general sense in video form. I'm sure a site would get many hits as many beginners ask for video tutorials, but you will have a lot of trouble finding videos to host.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement