C# Workshop

Started by
57 comments, last by Ezbez 16 years, 10 months ago
This is something that I would be interested in. I have a pretty good grasp of the basics, but I want to learn more about things like reflection, boxing/unboxing, threading, refactoring, custom user controls, etc. I only had a chance to take one class in college, but I have quite fallen in love with the language.
Advertisement
Does any one else have a suggestion on what book should be used?

Is every one fully comitted? I would hate to see this fall through in the middle.
In my opinion, the language reference, .NET framework class library reference and language specification are more than sufficient as far as documentation goes - assuming you already know how to program (prior language being irrelevant).

Then again, I never liked books and preferred the cold hard facts presented on datasheets. [wink]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I am also interested. Know the basics, but would love to get more proficient and learn some more advanced features. Also pick up what I might have misunderstood a long the way [smile]. It all helps
regards/thallishI don't care if I'm known, I'd rather people know me
Sounds interesting! A very good idea in my opinion.
Best regards, Omid
Quote:Original post by Michalson
Boom.

That's my support thrown in. The faster the next generation are using a good Hejlsberg designed language over some bastard offspring of a place holder macro assembler pretending to be logical syntax, the better.

ditto
Quote:Original post by downgraded
Quote:Original post by Michalson
Boom.

That's my support thrown in. The faster the next generation are using a good Hejlsberg designed language over some bastard offspring of a place holder macro assembler pretending to be logical syntax, the better.

ditto

what he said.

Quote:Original post by Washu
Don't worry about superpig, if it comes to it I'll just use my...powers...on him and he'll be compliant as a newborn baby facing a wolf.

You mean, you're going to eat superpig? Even the red cape?
Quote:Original post by benryves
In my opinion, the language reference, .NET framework class library reference and language specification are more than sufficient as far as documentation goes - assuming you already know how to program (prior language being irrelevant).

Then again, I never liked books and preferred the cold hard facts presented on datasheets. [wink]

I can get along just fine with standards and the like. Most people can't, especially those new to the field who haven't developed to the point where they understand the language behind standards. As we both know, standards are coached in very specific language to be very explicit about their meaning.
Quote:Original post by thallish
I am also interested. Know the basics, but would love to get more proficient and learn some more advanced features. Also pick up what I might have misunderstood a long the way [smile]. It all helps

This is another one of those reasons why a good book resource would be optimal. Many people will believe they understand the basics, but that doesn't mean they do. As an example, the other day I encountered a newbie who professed basic knowledge of if constructs, but when faced with the simple problem of "if if(GetAsyncKeyState() == 0x8000) tells him the key is down, how does he know when the key is up?" he had trouble figuring it out.
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Don't worry about superpig, if it comes to it I'll just use my...powers...on him and he'll be compliant as a newborn baby facing a wolf.

You mean, you're going to eat superpig? Even the red cape?

Even the red cape.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

This is another one of those reasons why a good book resource would be optimal. Many people will believe they understand the basics, but that doesn't mean they do. As an example, the other day I encountered a newbie who professed basic knowledge of if constructs, but when faced with the simple problem of "if if(GetAsyncKeyState() == 0x8000) tells him the key is down, how does he know when the key is up?" he had trouble figuring it out.

An else statement?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

We need to decide on a boook to use.

I vote for "Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Express Edition Programming for the Absolute Beginner." Ive read an absolute beginner book and I love how they teach you concepts while making games. Considering this is GAMEDev, I figure this is the best choice.

What about you guys? What book would yall like to use?

** Remeber, some people doing this workshop may not have programmed before, so the book must assume no prior knowledge of programming. **

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement