C# Workshop

Started by
57 comments, last by Ezbez 16 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Stormtrooper30
So, SuperPig, do I have your approval to make a C# workshop?
It's not really my approval that you need, these days. The workshop would fall under the "community and content" category, which is really Gaiiden's thing. You'll want to ask him.

Quote:Are the errors in the code fixed?
Not yet, but they're going to have to be. It's also affecting other things like the ability of the NeHe guys to manage their news items.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
I am currently in the proccess of writing a formal letter to SuperPig and Gaiiden. If any other Admins/Mods would like to read it, just post here.

Does anybody know thier email? I'd prefer not to PM them. I think emailing is more effective.
It has been decided, with the insight of many staff members, that the C# Workshop will be postponed until modifications have been made to the site that make it more "workshop friendly." I am not sure when (or if) these changes will be made.

If these changes are never made, then the workshop will procede in the fashion of the C++ Workshop.
For the record, I don't recall ever saying "no". I said I'd look into it, but I definetly did not say "no". Is it something we want to do? Yes. Definetly. Can we do it now? That's what's still up in the air. So don't let support for this die out. Keep working on it and getting people involved in it so that when we're ready to go (or just let you go with what we have now) you can just go and don't have to ramp-up again.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

It will be hard keeping support for this going. Changes in the site will take a while, and keeping people interested for that long will be hard.

I never said that you said 'no.' I just said that there was a possibillity that it won't happen (the changes to GameDev).
I changed my mind. I'll run the C# Workshop.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Uhhhh, aren't you running the MMO Workshop? Are there two of you?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

MiniMORPG isnt a workshop per-say. It's more of an experiment. Something I'm just doing in my free time and journaling so people can follow along. There's no structure to it or anything.

The C# Workshop is a formal, structured workshop, which will run for a fixed period of time...probably about 10 weeks. With the MiniMORPG I'm the only one involved in development. But, as with the C++ Workshop, I expect members of the community will lend a hand for the C# Workshop, so it's only an initial workload for me.

Specifically, reading the Specification, writing chapter threads, creating exercises/quizzes, and then writing project descriptions. This time I plan to do most of that BEFORE the workshop begins, so I wont feel as pressured while the workshop is in progress.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
I don't believe that this has been discussed yet, so I'll ask it. Will this workshop have an appeal to a 'decent' programmer who has little or no experience with C#, but experience in other (object oriented?) languages?

[Edit] Silly me! Should have read the "C# Workshop - Introduction"! For anyone else, it says that "Although the workshop requires no previous programming experience, this workshop will run at a more accelerated rate than previous workshops. Familiarity with C++, Java, or similar languages will help you understand the syntax and concepts more quickly."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement