• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Stormtrooper30

C# Workshop

This topic is 4432 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Wow, thanks for the support.

I dont think that I am the right person to start this, since I myself am a beginner programmer.

I loked at Free C# E-book from Programmer's Heaven, and it looks promising. Its free so that means everyone can have a copy. If this gets enough support and is created, I wont be able to teach too well if people have questions, but I'll help out as much as possible.

Ive looked through Microsoft's tutorials on C# and they are excellent. I havnt had time to read most of them, but when summer break comes I'll haveall the time in the world. There are also advanced tutorials that teach how to make classic games like Battle Tanx. Imnot sure which is best for teaching, but they both look nice.

Seeing as how most people on the site use C++, learning C# may benefit everyone.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by BenThereDoneThat
However, may I suggest using SDL.NET instead of XNA?

the real focus should be on the language itself and the most commonly used parts of the .net platform. of course this should include learning to create your own libraries as well as using existing ones.

Quote:
Original post by gumpy macdrunken
Quote:
Original post by BenThereDoneThat
However, may I suggest using SDL.NET instead of XNA?

the real focus should be on the language itself and the most commonly used parts of the .net platform. of course this should include learning to create your own libraries as well as using existing ones.

Of course, I simply meant for later on in the workshop, when/if they go over making games.

I think that we need to get a good book that teaches the basics of the language. This is the most important thing.

Then, after we've learned that, we can have a side thingy that teaches XNA or something like that.

BeenThereDoneThat, If this somehow happens, I was hoping that you could help out the people that need help. I read some of your blogs and you sound like you know a lot about C#. I cant start this on my own, mainly because I dont know the language, but also because I am not organized enough unlike the C++ workshop guys.

If a couple of Mods will dedicate themselves to work a little more to help others, I'll write to SuperPig to ask for clearence. I'll do my best to help, but I'll also be learning the language. I can help with organizing it, but we will need a couple of individuals that know C# very well.

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Now we 10 more people and/or 3 more moderators to join us and SuperPig to approve and finalize it.

What we actually need is to investigate what resources we want to use first. Think before we leap.

Don't worry about superpig, if it comes to it I'll just use my...powers...on him and he'll be compliant as a newborn baby facing a wolf.

Quote:
Original post by Washu
Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Now we 10 more people and/or 3 more moderators to join us and SuperPig to approve and finalize it.

What we actually need is to investigate what resources we want to use first. Think before we leap.

Thats a good idea. I think that we should defiantly use Visual C# Express, but what book should we use?

I was thinking mabey of "Microsoft C# Express EditionProgramming for the Absolute Beginner"
It teaches the core lessons of C# by making games for each chapter. Its a great serires.

I also think that "Microsoft Visual C# Express Step-by-Step" sounds very good. It looks like its easy to read and the author has a good writing style.

But, I dont know if these books are available for free. For those that cant buy a book, the Absolute Beginners one is available for free.
That can be found here:
http://www.freebooksclub.net/microsoft-visual-c-2005-express-edition-programming-for-the-absolute-beginner.html

That one book that was mentioned eariler that was free looks good as well.

I just need peoples opinions and support.

[Edited by - Stormtrooper30 on April 16, 2007 9:58:51 PM]

Essential C# 2.0 has been great to me, although I don't know how it would be for a beginner, seeing as how I started with C++. It covers everything in detail, but like I said, I'm not sure how great it would be to teach OOP or how easy it would be to pick up.

I wouldn't mind helping out. I have a very firm grasp of C#, I've used it at work, I've done TONS of work in windows forms, including several custom controls, am working on an MDX engine, and I just got a book on WPF, which looks to be a great new UI framework.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!