• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Stormtrooper30

C# Workshop

This topic is 4399 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'll assume everyone who's reading this thread knows who I am.

I will be posting a postmortem of the C++ Workshop this weekend or early next week, once I'm no longer traveling.

It's entirely up to you guys, but I'd encourage you to read over my postmortem before diving into the C# Workshop much further.

With that being said, assuming you guys learn from the mistakes of the past, I'll throw my support in for the C# Workshop.

Cheers!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by jwalsh
I'll assume everyone who's reading this thread knows who I am.

I will be posting a postmortem of the C++ Workshop this weekend or early next week, once I'm no longer traveling.

It's entirely up to you guys, but I'd encourage you to read over my postmortem before diving into the C# Workshop much further.

With that being said, assuming you guys learn from the mistakes of the past, I'll throw my support in for the C# Workshop.

Cheers!

Ay, its Jwalsh. I was wondering if he'd ever see this topic.
I will definitely read that postmortem. Knowing what was good and bad in the C++ one would be a great help to this C# one.

While we wait for Jwalsh, we need to decide on a book to use. As I've said before, the Absolute Beginner one looks very good for beginners. There have been 2 or 3 others mentioned, so we need to decide which one to use. If any one else did the C++ one, did that book work out well?

Based on what happened with the C++ Workshop, I'd highly recommend a book that's freely available online. That will guarantee the widest audience, and makes it easier for everyone to refer to the same version, since it's just a URL.

If that's not an option, make sure the book you choose is NOT available online anywhere. Otherwise, half the readers use the freely available online version (often a previous edition) while the other half purchase a more recent version. This leads to all sorts of headaches.

Cheers!

Quote:
Original post by jwalsh
Based on what happened with the C++ Workshop, I'd highly recommend a book that's freely available online. That will guarantee the widest audience, and makes it easier for everyone to refer to the same version, since it's just a URL.

If that's not an option, make sure the book you choose is NOT available online anywhere. Otherwise, half the readers use the freely available online version (often a previous edition) while the other half purchase a more recent version. This leads to all sorts of headaches.

Cheers!

I'm actually waiting for your postmortem!

These two books are available online, they are very good too:

http://www.programmersheaven.com/2/CSharpBook

http://www.freebooksclub.net/microsoft-visual-c-2005-express-edition-programming-for-the-absolute-beginner.html

Both of those books are free. The AbsoluteBeginner's one in the 2005 edition, so I think it is the best choice.

** how do you make clickable link things instead of just urls?

I would also be very interested in a C# workshop but I don't have enough time right now to get fully involved. I would most likely just quietly follow along on the sidelines if people don't mind.
Quote:
Original post by Stormtrooper30
** how do you make clickable link things instead of just urls?
Use a standard HTML <a> tag. So <a href="http://www.google.com/">Google</a> shows up as Google.

Jwalsh, this workshop will work perfectly for you. You are making a workshop on MMORPGs, and are writing it in C#. This is good for you because there will be a C# Worshop going on at the same time.

This way, if someone complains that they do not know C#, you can just give them a link to this workshop. That way they can learn the language and then come back to your workshop.

Quote:
Original post by Stormtrooper30
Jwalsh, this workshop will work perfectly for you. You are making a workshop on MMORPGs, and are writing it in C#. This is good for you because there will be a C# Worshop going on at the same time.

This way, if someone complains that they do not know C#, you can just give them a link to this workshop. That way they can learn the language and then come back to your workshop.

Yup yup. Alas, my evil scheme has been revealed. If there is such a workshop running, I will definitely make sure to send anyone with questions about the language to the workshop.

Cheers!

While I'm waiting on Jwalsh to make his Postmortem, Ihave a few things to do.

First, I need the mod's permission to do this. I see that a couple have posted here, but Im not sure how this works. I've never made a workshop, so I need alot of help doing this. If a mod would respond here stating what they would do to make this happen, it would be much appreciated.

Second, I need to get a couple of members that know C# inside and out. These will be the teachers that answer questions when they come up. Because I have no experience in C# or C++, I will not be able to answer some of the questions. I come from Python, so I wont be of much help.

Third, I need Jwalsh's permission to use his C++ Workshop template. I would like to setup the C# Workshop like he has.

Feedback is greatly appreciated. If you would like to volunteer, email me at stormtrooper30@gmail.com

I will be posting my postmortem tomorrow. If you still wish to use my template after reading the postmortem, you have my permission.

As well, I recommend not getting multiple people to volunteer to run the workshop. I mean, it's fine to get multiple volunteers, but ultimately you'll want one person to be in charge of the workshop, getting aid from others. Otherwise, no one knows who responsible, and the workshop isn't likely to progress very far.

And to answer your question, to get the ball rolling, the person who will be running the workshop should send a written proposal for the C# workshop, including how long it will last, which book it will use, etc...to superpig here on GD.net. He's the staff member who set up the C++ Workshop, and as I understand it, is the person in charge of such things.

But...you may want to wait for the postmortem. Really, there's some enlightening info...for good and bad.

Cheers!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!