C# Workshop

Started by
57 comments, last by Ezbez 16 years, 10 months ago
The C++ Workshop Postmortem has been posted and can be found Here. Assuming I'm not banned from GD.net I look forward to your feedback and interpretation for use in the C# Workshop.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jwalsh
The C++ Workshop Postmortem has been posted and can be found Here. Assuming I'm not banned from GD.net I look forward to your feedback and interpretation for use in the C# Workshop.

Cheers!

Haha, very nice postmortem Jwalsh! I was wondering why you said you may be banned, but after reading it I understand now. ;)

I still would like to do this workshop, but that gave me a lot of ideas. I plan on doing all of the organization of the Workshop, so I hope that SuperPig gives me the moderator privilages. If not, I dont see the workshop getting off the ground.

Once I get everything approaved, I will start a "signup" topic where all participants and mentors will post thier email address. That's how I'll try to keep everyone active.

I've chosen a book that is good for beginners, but may not be advanced enough for people who already know C#. I like it though, because the workshop is for beginners.

Before I begin the workshop, I will find a couple of members/mods that are good at the language and ask them to aid in the teaching. I know that you said to not do this, but I am no expert, so I will need the help.

Cheers!

You would never be banned from GDNet for that kind of a post.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Quote:Original post by Washu

Cheers!

Fair enough. Though some people are more receptive to criticism than others.[lol]

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Quote:Original post by Washu

Cheers!

Fair enough. Though some people are more receptive to criticism than others.[lol]

Cheers!

Irregardless, we understand that there were issues, and at the time I can honestly say that there WERE more pressing issues at hand (sometimes we have to prioritize the things we don't like over the ones we do...to the point that it makes us terse). We're working on getting things in much better shape for the future, and that should help with Workshops as well.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Quote:Irregardless, we understand that there were issues, and at the time I can honestly say that there WERE more pressing issues at hand (sometimes we have to prioritize the things we don't like over the ones we do...to the point that it makes us terse). We're working on getting things in much better shape for the future, and that should help with Workshops as well.

I meant no disrespect in my comment about being banned, it was stated more out of sarcasm than anything. But I should remember the mods (gods?) are watching, and take comments about banning seriously. I apologize.

I understand that GDNet is a business, like any other business, and has to prioritize its resources. I just feel that can be done without "biting the hand that feeds you," or being "terse" as you put it. Where I come from that's referred to as burning bridges.

I'm glad to hear that progress is being made, though. I know there are quite a few subjects out there that are perfectly suited for a community workshop framework, and would enjoy reading/participating in more of them here on GDNet.

IMO, the GDNet technology could/should be expanded to support a workshop style interface. This would bring more hobbyists and professionals here as guest tutors, and could significantly increase the traffic to GDNet. The textbooks being used could be linked with the Book Reviews/Amazon links, increasing affiliate income, and lecturers could even solicit people from the workshop as part of the Job Search Component. This is just an idea, of course. But I'd be interested in knowing what kind of work-load would be required to make such changes to the GDNet tech base.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
I meant no disrespect in my comment about being banned, it was stated more out of sarcasm than anything. But I should remember the mods (gods?) are watching, and take comments about banning seriously. I apologize.

For what? For pointing out that we have issues that need to be solved? For showing others the potential pitfalls they may experience in setting up a workshop? For bothering to spare your time to help out our community? What exactly are you apologizing for? If anything, we should be apologizing to you for not providing the level of service you expected.
Quote:I understand that GDNet is a business, like any other business, and has to prioritize its resources. I just feel that can be done without "biting the hand that feeds you," or being "terse" as you put it. Where I come from that's referred to as burning bridges.

Sometimes we're terse because we're irritated that we have to prioritize things over those that we like. For instance fixing security issues instead of working on a workshop.
Quote:I'm glad to hear that progress is being made, though. I know there are quite a few subjects out there that are perfectly suited for a community workshop framework, and would enjoy reading/participating in more of them here on GDNet.

With Superpig and Oluseyi aiming for having the inner workings more exposed to the community, it should help to drive our producitivity and to build things that the community as a whole can benefit from.
Quote:IMO, the GDNet technology could/should be expanded to support a workshop style interface. This would bring more hobbyists and professionals here as guest tutors, and could significantly increase the traffic to GDNet. The textbooks being used could be linked with the Book Reviews/Amazon links, increasing affiliate income, and lecturers could even solicit people from the workshop as part of the Job Search Component. This is just an idea, of course. But I'd be interested in knowing what kind of work-load would be required to make such changes to the GDNet tech base.

Ideas are welcome (we are in the CSI forum after all). Just realize, there is a LOT of work for us to do before we can focus completely on such additions. You can check Oluseyi's and Superpig's journal for more on that.
Quote:Cheers!

I hated that show.

Putting all apologies aside, Im assuming that I have both Washu's and Jwalsh's support in this workshop?

As for my opinion on the Postmortem:
It was full of intelligent data that helps out al of GDNet. I hope that the admins read it carefully and prevent what has happened to you happen to anyone else (me).
C'mon, the staff member you're talking about in that postmortem is me. Don't pull your punches.

For what it's worth, you've misquoted me. What I said was "I'm sorry but GDNet has been put on a low priority and of all the things I have to handle at GDNet, your workshop is amongst the lowest." I had also told you that I'd been dealing with my end-of-year exams and a new job, and if you couldn't tell that I was frustrated with the state of the site then you weren't reading very closely.

Regardless, I wish I hadn't said it; it doesn't accurately reflect how I feel and felt about the workshop. No amount of stress can excuse it, and I'm sorry. I don't want to burn any bridges, and if I have done so, I would rebuild them.

I should not have put myself forward as a tutor. I have a tendency to commit to more than I actually have time for, and while I did originally have every intention of participating, I didn't manage to act on that more than once. (I'll admit I was also kinda demoralised by the textbook, which upon reading I thought was pretty poor. That's not to say I think you could have picked a better book; I think most of the material at that level is terrible).

After over a year of working with the site's codebase, I still don't understand how and why it was that you didn't have moderation abilities in that forum. I set up a usergroup for all the tutors in the workshop and ticked every box for that group in the "permissions this group has for this forum" page. You'd think that would do it, right? Apparently not. I even tried setting you as the forum's "owner," but all that seems to do is display your name above the thread listing. While "give me moderator rights for this forum" sounds like a fairly simple task, the site software does not make it simple - mainly because the requirements for the permissions system were never properly thought out, such that per-forum permissions appear to be an afterthought. Obviously, it's something that needs to be figured out because it makes running a workshop extremely difficult, as you discovered.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

So, SuperPig, do I have your approval to make a C# workshop? Are the errors in the code fixed?

I'll send you a formal request once I get everything organized.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement