C# GUI Programming

Started by
3 comments, last by Axiverse 17 years ago
Does anyone have any tutorials on C# GUI programming? I've searched on here and the net, and found one about how to use the form designer, but none about how to program it. Thanks.
Advertisement
Kenny,

If you're doing your development with C#, I recommend using WPF, which is part of the .NET 3.0 framework, rather than WinForms, which is part of the .NET 1.0+ framework.

The documentation which comes with the .NET 3.0 Framework (The Vista Platform SDK) has some great tutorials and examples. The learning curve for using WPF is very short.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
yet the tools for wpf are in it's infancy to say the least...
Quote:Original post by LogicalError
yet the tools for wpf are in it's infancy to say the least...
Do they even work with the VS 2005 Express Editions yet? I can only see the CTP available for download.

I'm not sure how WinForms are .NET 1.x based, especially as .NET 2.0 introduced a plethora of new and updated controls.

Looking up each individual control on MSDN will come with instructions on how to work with them; how do you mean "Program" them? On the base level you need to handle their events, and attaching events is easily done via the property panel (switch to the events view, double click on an event name and add your code).

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Are you talking about winform controls? If so, I think what you want is under design-time support. This allows you to add support for the form designer and the property editor. This is done using attributes and special designer classes. You can see that a bunch of designer classes exist in the .net framework. They usually are under a sub-namespace called design (e.g. System.Windows.Forms.Design, or System.Drawing.Design) Design time support exists mostly under the namespace System.ComponentModel, so take a look under there. I've done a bit on this so I might be able to help a bit more if you have more specific questions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement