• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
quantumgamez

Irrlicht, what is its learning curve?

This topic is 4085 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not exactly a noob programmer. I've programmed in Java, C++, and with C++ have used the SDL library and was able to setup it up and use it pretty good once I read a couple of tutorials on the syntax, and it taught me how to link up to libraries that are actually useful, but I'm not sure bout Irrlicht. Is it hard, is it easy, and I have also from a frequent forum post developers argue over it being uselful, and easy or not. Give me a HINT PLEASE!!!! Thanks for all those who reply as always!!!

Advertisement
I tried the first Tutorials of Irrlicht some while ago and what i've seen from it it seams to be easy.

Look at the first tutorial for example, there are about 30 lines of code and you already have a loaded model on the screen.
Collusion detection is a bit more complicated, but most things are taken care of by the engine.
Also the people in the forums are helpful.

Just try it out for yourself over the weekend, if its not good for you search for another engine, there are plenty out there.

Irrlicht is very easy to learn - at least when you compare it to Ogre3D. It's also quite easy to hit its limits, but you should still be able to do something good.

Best regards,

Hi,

I'm not a big fan of Irrlicht, as stated you'll hit it's limits fast.

Plus it is full of bugs, as it's only a 'hobby' engine.

The terrain engine sucks, and is full of bugs.

If you want to go anywhere with this engine, it needs to be patched, and recompiled.

Unless you are confident with doing this, I would avoid it.

Cheers [wink]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!