A little question about EDI's 'unsolvable problem'...

Started by
5 comments, last by SonicSpaceRec 17 years ago
Hi I've been looking through this thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=184706 And while the problem has been solved, I am still a little confused about it. My question is this: Using Crazy Mike's method, what is the isometric representation used? In my game I am using the 'angled' representation, as opposed to the 'layered' one, ie tiles are laid-out like this: ...................(0,0) ..............(0,1)...(1,1) ..........(0,2)...(1,1)...(2,0) ......(0,3)...(1,2)...(1,2)...(3,0) etc... Wheras the layered approach would be more like: (0,0)...(1,0)...(2,0) ...(0,1)...(1,1) (0,2)...(1,2)...(2,2) etc... Crazy Mike refers to the 'top right corner' in his algorithm, and I'm not sure which portion of the map he's referring to, as he demonstrates his algorithm with a top-down grid... Could anyone help me out?
Advertisement
You could probably tell by downloading the morning's wrath demo and checking what type of map it uses. But I'd bet it's the 'layered' one, as I wasn't aware a properly done ISO map had a top-right corner.
Hi Deyja, unfortunately I'm a Mac user, so no-go at the moment. I also think it would be hard to tell from looking at the game as both methods potentially render the same.

Hmmm...
He's not referring to a corner of the map, but a corner of the structure.
If I remember correctly the map representation was "angled"... top right corner located here:

I'm talking about where he points out the 'upper right of isometric map' in his diagram...

Where is that exactly when transformed into isometric view? Is it the top right square of a 'layered' map, or the (0,0) in my 'angled' one?
Ah, thanks O-San, I hope that's true because I wouldn't have to switch representations.
Hmm let me look back at the algorithm with that in mind...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement