• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
StaticWorld

Difference Between C# and C++?

This topic is 4260 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I'm new to the C programming scene, gotta few questions to ask u guys 1) Is there any difference between C# and C++? if yes what difference 2) I tried to search the Web for C++ beginnner guides but i haven't really found any yet... i went to www.wrox.com to search for beginner codes which was recommanded by my lecturer in school but theres only C# beginner codes. anyone can link me to C++ beginner guides/ codes? 3) i have 2+ years of JAVA OOP background, will it be easier to learn C++? 4) My school lecturer also reccommanded me to use Visual studio express to start on my C++ learning journey, is it good? 5) i found out XNA game studios only support C#? does all game engines use C# or C++ wells that my questions for now Thanks for the help, much appreciated...

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by StaticWorld
1) Is there any difference between C# and C++? if yes what difference

They are two different languages, with different syntax, details, idioms and usages.

Quote:
3) i have 2+ years of JAVA OOP background, will it be easier to learn C++?

It will be easier to learn C++ with a Java background than without it. Learning C# will however be easier than learning C++ in almost any situation.

Quote:
4) My school lecturer also reccommanded me to use Visual studio express to start on my C++ learning journey, is it good?

Yes, it's excellent.

Quote:
5) i found out XNA game studios only support C#? does all game engines use C# or C++

Depends. Most games use C, many use C++ and some use C# or Java. Then again, most game engines were written when only C or C++ existed. Usually, the number of programs written in a language depends more on the language's age than on its quality or its possibilities.

1) they are different languages with lots of similarites.
2) http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
3) if your used to java C# should be realy easy to pick up.
4) Visual Studio Express is the best choice for any developer who cant afford / doesnt want to pay for a licence of visual studio .net (there are few differences)
5) Unfortuantely XNA is only C# if you want to learn C# for games i suggest you download XNA game studio express (an add on for Visual C# express available on microsoft.com) and go through the tutorials that come with it. Its one of the best documented programs I've ever come across and the tutorials are exelent. As far as should you use C++ or C#, its up to you. Professionals still use C++, I use both. Personally I prefer the control you have in C++ but it took me years to learn how to use it properly, and I see how C# can be useful.

Quote:
Original post by treeway
Personally I prefer the control you have in C++
As a systems programming language it's great for writing operating systems and drivers with, where you might need such low-level "control". You don't need that with games.

C# has a cleaner syntax, saner compilation model, and handles the behind-the-scenes stuff (such as memory management) for you. C# is much closer to Java's way of thinking than C++ in this respect. (This is not to say that C++ does not have its uses).

XNA can be used by any .NET-friendly language (just reference the assemblies and away you go); however, the Visual Studio integration only works with Visual C# Express Edition.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!