• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
m09868

is this enough. and a question on gimp

This topic is 4262 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok here is my final list 1. torque engine 2. maya 3. 3ds max what is gimp. i heard it textures a model. do i need it or can i texture models with 3ds max and maya. and where can i get it?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by m09868
ok here is my final list
1. torque engine
2. maya
3. 3ds max

You forgot 4 - a huge bag of cash to afford the above. [wink]

Enough for what? Making a game? You'll need to know how to program to use the 3D engine. Microsoft offer an excellent range of free development tools.

Quote:
what is gimp.
It's a general-purpose image manipulation package, so you can use it to create textures for models. It has a fairly "interesting" interface, but it's free. You can download it from here. I prefer Paint.NET as a free image editor.

As far as free 3D content creation goes, there's Blender. MilkShape is nice, and it's also cheap.

I usually dislike people that just tell someone to use Google, but with all the easily answered topics you've made recently, please just Google for Gimp.

[google]

Quote:
Original post by Scet
please just Google for Gimp.

Sorry, couldn't resist, you should probably add "image manipulation" or "image editor" to your search. I'm not sure how highly Gimp comes in google ratings, so Googling for just "gimp" may produce some rather interesting results.

I (also) hate to say that, but can you try to refactor multiple questions that rougly have the same subject into only one post in the future? Having to read several one-liners in different posts in order to have a rough idea of your needs is a pain.

Now, to answer this question: it's totally useless to buy both Maya and 3ds max. These two software are (roughly) doing the same exact thing - the feature list is very similar - and their major difference is only related to the user interface. So, if you have the money to buy it, buy just one of them. The one you might chose is the one you'll feel the most confortable with. Also, remember that these are professional tools, and the learning curve can be quite step. So be prepared.

If you don't have much programming experience, I suggest you to try to make a simple game using a free game engine (there are several out there; google for "free game engine" and you're likely to get a list). Then, once you'll be more confident in your talent, you'll buy torque. Of course, if you are willing to give your money to GarageGames, I don't see any problem with that. I just want to prevent some frustration.

Gimp is the acronym of Gnu Image Manipulation Program. You can download it on their official website. using it, you can create digital images and/or modify any pictures. So yes, you can use it to create textures as well, but it will not texture your 3d model for you. Texturing a model involves more that just creating the texture - you need to map the texture onto your model, by setting (for each vertex of the model) the corresponding coordinate in the texture. Some softwares can help you (the commercial software unfold3d of Polygonal Design comes to mind. It costs only 399€, so since you saved some money because you are now buying only one 3d software package, you will easily afford it).

Here are also some general answers to your other posts (1) (2) (3)

(1) who knows? But it seems to focus on going from one of this tool to the other one, and not on learning how to use them. I suggest you to buy a book that targets only one of these professional 3d modeler/renderer. There are many out there.

(2) <sarcasm>Years ago, two young men decided to use the product of their PhD research to build a tool that would index the internet web sites in a very clever way. Indexing is done using keywords and relevance to the subject, which is computed by searching how the otehr web sites are linked to this one. They called their product google, and as of today, it's still online. By entering "autodesk maya tutorials", google retrives 641,000 web pages, most of them being about - guess what - autodesk, maya and tutorials. Amazing, isn't it?</sarcasm>
More seriously, we are rather happy to help people that ask some questions on this board. But that would be a good idea to actually do some homework right before, as this is not the most complicated task on the universe. The rule of thumb is: "if I need to find a website about XYZ, then the first thing I should try to do is to google XYZ".

(3) it really depends on what you want to do. Milkshape 3D is perfectly fine for most modeling and texturing tasks. Maya has a more impressive feature list - but a stepper learning curve as well. Since you can download a trial edition of MS3D for free, why don't you try it yourself?

Best regards,

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!