• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kingpinzs

Need ideas for implementing music and soundfx api

This topic is 4176 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wanting some ideas on putting in background music and soundfx in my game. I know you can use Direct sound but it is hard to find a good tutorial on using Direct sound for background music. Is it a better idea to use WAV, Mp3 or OGG for the back ground music? I figured using Mp3 is the best idea and people sugested using fmod but you have to pay for it if you want to use it for comercial use. I tryed using the mci way but it slows my game down to much. Any other ideas?

Advertisement
How would I use direct sound for background music I seen something about streaming but did not find instructions on how to so it.

Quote:
Original post by kingpinzs
people sugested using fmod but you have to pay for it if you want to use it for comercial use.

To be honest, I'd say just throw in fmod as well. If there comes a time where you need to either change or license it because of commercial use, well then you should have the budget to do it, since it is commercial. It's so easy to use (especially in comparison with DSound) that it almost seems wrong not to use it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!