Performance of cube textures...

Started by
1 comment, last by devronious 17 years ago
I was thinking about using a 3d cube texture in my application instead of several other 2d textures. I was going to just add all of my many textures into the layers of on cube texture and use it instead of many single textures. So the question is, is the performance of a cube texture ok? I'll have to use the tex3d lookup in my shader, but will this be ok? [edit] Also, are they supported by pretty much all cards out now? Basically, could you use one in a AAA title? Thanks in advance, Devin [Edited by - devronious on April 19, 2007 11:38:12 AM]
Advertisement
Do you mean Cube textures, or Volume textures? You seem to be talking about Volume textures but call the Cube textures.

Either way, if the goal is combining several different textures into one texture that holds them all, this is likely not going to be worth it. Both volume textures and cubemaps require extra work from the GPU, and are likely to be somewhat slower.

If you're looking to perform less SetTexture calls, why not use one big 2D texture to store several textures in?

Hope this helps.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Ya, I think I meant volume textures, now that I'm reading up on them. I am starting to lean towards one big texture instead as you suggest. I would like to use volume rather than large texture, but if it's going to be slow then it is a bad idea for me as performance is my goal.

Thanks,

-Devin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement