• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
spaceJockey123

Getting rid of a minus sign

This topic is 4253 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I always thought unsigned int would get rid of the minus sign but it doesn't. e.g. unsigned int a = 12-13; cout << a; It outputs 42912121 or some weird value like that. So is there any other way to keep getting rid of the minus sign? The only thing I can think of is to square the negative value and then square root it. But that seems too inefficient. Brings me to another question... if you #include <cmath... we have sqrt(number) which gets the square root of something but how do you square a variable without doing expression*expression. Does it recalculate the value in each expression or does it do it just once?

Advertisement
This is the kind of question that's going to get a billion responses: Let the race begin!

if(number < 0)
{
number = -number;
}
// Or
number = abs(number);
// Or
if(number < 0)
{
number *= -1;
}

The difference between signed and unsigned is in how the first bit (most significant) of the number is interpreted. Negative numbers are stored in twos-complement form (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two's_complement).

Without going into detail, in two's complement form, -1 is stored as 0xFFFFFFFF. That is the value that will get stored into 'a'. When you then print 'a' out, it interprets it as an unsigned, which takes 0xFFFFFFFF => 2^32-1 = 4294967295.

To actually 'get rid of the minus sign' you are going to have to use the abs() function.

For the reason you get that funky number, read up on Two's Complement.

To get the magnitude, or absolute, part of a number, you'll typically use a function called 'abs'; ie, abs(-39) will return 39.

Quote:
Original post by spaceJockey123
Brings me to another question... if you #include <cmath...
we have sqrt(number) which gets the square root of something
but how do you square a variable without doing expression*expression. Does it recalculate the value in each expression or does it do it just once?

Yes, it does calculate the value of expression twice. Any decent optimizer should be able to recognize if the two expressions are the same, but any side effects will be evaluated twice. If I'm going to be squaring things a lot I find it useful to define:

template<class T> square(const T& a)
{
return a*a;
}

Edit: although in fact to take advantage of NRVO it should be:

template<class T> square(const T& a)
{
T b(a);
b *= a;
return b;
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!