• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cresty

Where to start?

This topic is 4085 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I haven't had any experience with AI programming sofar, but sometimes gotta be the first. So are there any good books or texts or maybe tutorials on the subject. I could imagine how to use binary trees and whatnot, but i would like to look at "real" ways to do it. I hear something about some neural nets or something? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
99% of game AI is still just simple state machines:

an extremely simple idea of what i'm talking about:

case ATTACKING:
//do attack stuff

if ( should transition to another state )
{
//transition
}

case IDLE:
//do idle

if ( should transition to another state )
{
//transition
}

almost no one uses neural nets in game AI. Black & White and one QuakeBot are the only instances I know of that used neural nets. They're generally a poor choice for game AI because they tend not to give designers control over the AI's behavior.

With a simple state machine you can control state transitions by changing your heuristics or just changing some tunable variables to influence those heuristics.

-me

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!