• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bubbabear

Some help making a game...

This topic is 4170 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, and hopefully I can find someone that's willing to help. I have a social phobia that keeps me inside most the day, and my main hobbies are online RPGs, and reading fantasy books. I also have an interest in programming and my goal is to spend the next five to ten years working on a small multiplayer role-playing game, which will consist of a client and server, and support about 100 simultaneously players. The game will be hand drawn 2D, I'm not trying to commercialize it, it's just a world for me to build and express my imagination that I've been storing for a very long time. I'm willing to work long and hard hours to make this goal a reality, but I'm a little stuck to be honest. I need to be pointed in a direction that will help me with this project. I have been learning C#, and largely considering it as the choice language for both client/server. But I believe I lack the fundamental know-how to get this accomplished. It seems like the more I learn, the less I understand. Thanks for your time.

Advertisement
Practice makes perfect, for that be doing something a 100X till u know it right to the bone.

Since your using C# i suggest you go and Download XNA they have quite a bit of tutorials and it is quite new so you can expect there to be alot more, and they also have a very active community.

Start out small make Tetris,Breakout,PacMan are generally good starters, its going to take some time but it will catch on

Hi, and welcome to the world of programming. :)

I found that during my first 6 months of learning, I didn't know much. I would think I did, and then, eventually, I hit a point where I suddenly went from a person that thought he knew stuff to a person that knew he didn't know stuff, and that made all the difference in the world when I tried to learn. I think that you are already at, or at least close to, the point where it becomes much easier to learn.

I, personally, disagree with your language of choice. I also disagree with the time period you've set yourself (I don't think it will take that long for a game, assuming you don't try to do it exactly like the professionals do).

I think my advice is to not try anything big. Don't try to make a game right away, and when you do, start with small games. I can't offer you specific advice as to how to learn C#, except that you should definitely read articles, and get an IRC client. Join a #Csharp channel of some kind, and get your problems solved there (and on this forum, especially when it pertains to things like DirectX, Physics, etc.).

When you think you've grasped the programming language enough to make games (that might take a bit, I don't remember too well, but it took me well over even a couple of months), then look into the DirectX managed SDK, and SDL.NET, if they now offer tutorials for .NET 2.0. And then, with some games, it may be just as simple to use the non-hardware-accellerated drawing API, system.drawing, which uses GDI+.

Above all, try to have fun. I hope I helped.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/mod/journal/journal.asp?jn=325159

Still in the early stages but a workshop like this is probably what you're looking for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!