mouse movement in pygame

Started by
11 comments, last by Geometrian 16 years, 12 months ago
Ok, one quick question. With this code for mouse input I get returned a sequence of 0's. (It's in a loop)

if type_of_input == 1:
  move = pygame.mouse.get_rel()
  yrot = yrot + move[0]
  xrot = xrot + move[1]

I obviously don't want that to happen. Just a simple bit of code to change xrot and yrot by the x and y distance traveled by the mouse. I thought it might be events or something, but the code right above it (for key input)...

if type_of_input == 0:
  keystate = pygame.key.get_pressed()
  if keystate[K_LEFT]:
    yrot = yrot + 1.8
  if keystate[K_RIGHT]:
    yrot = yrot - 1.8

...works perfectly fine. Because these two are right next to each other, type_of_input is either 1 or 0 when the program runs (type_of_input never changes). When I set it equal to 0, keys worked, but when I set it to 1, it doesn't. (EDIT by mod - meaningful title added.) (EDIT by Geometrian - Opps, Thanks) [Edited by - Geometrian on April 21, 2007 7:48:12 PM]

[size="1"]And a Unix user said rm -rf *.* and all was null and void...|There's no place like 127.0.0.1|The Application "Programmer" has unexpectedly quit. An error of type A.M. has occurred.
[size="2"]

Advertisement
Are you calling pygame.mouse.get_rel() anywhere else? This function only returns the relative movement since the last time it was called. If you call it again immediately, the result will most likely be (0,0).
I placed this function in a loop that is updated for every frame of the game. It is called once per time around the loop. The loop is run through about 20 times per second (hence 20fps) and so the relative mouse position is checked 20 times per second. Since the average fps is 20fps, the function is called every 1/20th of a second.
[edit] 'pygame.mouse.get_focused()' seems to be the equivelent function to 'pygame.key.get_pressed()' except that 'pygame.mouse.get_focused()' returns a bool and I need to see in which direction the mouse is moving.

[size="1"]And a Unix user said rm -rf *.* and all was null and void...|There's no place like 127.0.0.1|The Application "Programmer" has unexpectedly quit. An error of type A.M. has occurred.
[size="2"]

Well, I just tested this function out for myself and as far as I can tell it works fine. get_focused just tells you if the window currently has the mouse focus (which means it is receiving mouse events). If you move the cursor outside the window you'll usually lose focus (unless your application has captured the mouse input). There's no need to check for this in your movement code, but it could be useful if you wanted to know if the window is not receiving mouse events.

Do you have a main event loop (calling something like pygame.event.get())? If you don't have one, that might prevent the system from working (not sure about this).
Yes, I've tried that- when I put in that command, my program runs (though the mouse still doesn't work), but refuses to quit with ESCAPE key:
here's the basic code for the program:
#in main function#type_of_input is loaded from a file.#main game loopwhile 1:        pygame.event.get() #just added this (somehow causes ESCAPE key not to work)        event = pygame.event.poll()        if event.type == QUIT or (event.type == KEYDOWN and event.key == K_ESCAPE):            break        draw(type_of_input) #in this function, the mouse problem is happening.        pygame.display.flip()

[size="2"]

pygame.event.get and pygame.event.poll both pull events from the same queue. The difference is that pygame.event.poll only gets at most one event at a time, and pygame.event.get gets all the pending events (optionally filtering to only get events of certain types). My event loop looks like this:

while True:        for event in pygame.event.get():            if event.type == whatever:                do something            if event.type == and so on                blah blah        update game        draw everything        clock.tick(framerate) #or use clock.tick_busy_loop(framerate)

The While True could be replaced with a boolean variable to be set when you want to exit the loop (in this example, I would just return from the function or sys.exit()). I use a pygame.time.clock object to run at a constant framerate. If you don't want a constant framerate then you'd use some other method for your timing.
Ok... I think this fixes the quiting problem, and I can see that the next logical step would be to make the mouse move with this, but how do you define a pygame.MOUSEMOTION event? like
for event in pygame.event.get():  if event.type == #what do I put here?    #rotate up  if event.type == #what do I put here?    #rotate down  if event.type == #what do I put here?    #rotate left  if event.type == #what do I put here?    #rotate right

See, I know moving the mouse will make a pygame.MOUSEMOTION event, but how do I distinguish between one moving up, down, left, or right? Hence '#what do I put here?'
[edit: I just tried putting pygame.MOUSEMOTIONUP and pygame.MOUSEMOTIONDOWN there and it says that the module does not have that attribute]

[size="2"]

I don't really see what you are trying to do without seeing more of your code but if you look at the short program I just wrote you can see that you'd be able to tell which direction the mouse is moving by doing this:
"""  moveCircle.py     Creates a blue circle sprite that     the mouse follows around     """import pygamepygame.init()screen = pygame.display.set_mode((640, 480))class Circle(pygame.sprite.Sprite):    def __init__(self):        pygame.sprite.Sprite.__init__(self)        self.image = pygame.Surface((50, 50))        self.image.fill((255, 255, 255)) # should really use start using names for color        pygame.draw.circle(self.image, (0,0,255), (25,25), 25, 0)        self.rect = self.image.get_rect()            def update(self):          self.rect.center = pygame.mouse.get_pos()          print pygame.mouse.get_rel()          def main():    pygame.display.set_caption("move the circle with the mouse")    background = pygame.Surface(screen.get_size())    background = background.convert()    background.fill((255, 255, 255))    screen.blit(background, (0,0))    circle = Circle()    allSprites = pygame.sprite.Group(circle)    # hide mouse    pygame.mouse.set_visible(False)    clock = pygame.time.Clock()    keepGoing = True    while keepGoing:        clock.tick(30)        for event in pygame.event.get():            if event.type == pygame.QUIT:                keepGoing = False        #allSprites.clear(screen, background)        allSprites.update()        allSprites.draw(screen)        pygame.display.flip()    # return the mouse    pygame.mouse.set_visible(True)if __name__ == "__main__":    main()

Hope this helps or gives you an idea at least;)
p.s. There is no mousemotionup,down,etc so you'll have to create it yourself
Should just be a couple of lines of code you need to add to the code I gave above.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Thanks, but in this case I don't really care where the mouse is.
[edit: oh wait... that's not what it's doing, is it.]
Here's what I'm trying to do. I have a 3D airplane, and I want to fly it. The control method is the mouse (since type_of_input == 1), so if I push the mouse forward, the plane rotates down, pull the mouse back and the plane rotates up. So, what I really need is for each frame of the game, something to add the x and y distance traveled by the mouse to the value of two variables ('xrot' and 'yrot').

For example,
If in one frame, the mouse travels two pixels up and 1 pixel left, (xrot = xrot - 1) and (yrot = yrot + 2).
If in the next frame, the mouse moves 1 pixel up and 0 pixels left/right, then (xrot = xrot + 0) and (yrot = yrot + 1).
etc.

[edit: I have a hunch that I forgot:
something = pygame.mouse.get_pos()
so it never updated it]
[reedit: No, that didn't seem to fix it]

[Edited by - Geometrian on April 21, 2007 10:15:30 PM]

[size="2"]

pygame.mouse.get_rel() should really be working; I'm not sure why it would always return (0,0) even when you move the mouse. Have you tried using it with the new event loop? There could have been some weird issue with the event queue in your old loop. Anyway, if you want to try using the event system instead, the events of type MOUSEMOTION have attributes pos, rel, and buttons. You can use the rel property from that.

xrot += event.rel[0]*sensitivity
yrot += event.rel[1]*sensitivity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement