• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
VanillaGorilla

OpenGL Loading Images for textres on Linux

This topic is 4257 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am not really sure how many people use Linux here but I have been just trying things out and going through some tutorials and I am able to fix most things designed for Windows so I can compile them on Linux... but I see a lot of tutorials that involve loading textures and it has "AUX_RGBImageRec" to set the type of the texture array and the type the function will return, the problem is I don't have that. So I am wondering how do I go about loading an image on Linux? (I am using OpenGL with GLUT, which I don't know if it has image loading functions)... Should I try using SDL instead? (I think I saw SDL's image loading functions somewhere)

Advertisement
No, you should go for the real pnglib, jpeglib or exrlib.
There are also a lot of "second grade" libraries packing all those stuff togheter other people simply love.

I don't remember anymore how many years people says AUX to be outdated. I wonder how it survived up to now.

Yea, I guess nobody updates their tutorials.
Use DevIL (OpenIL). Learn it. Love it.

Actually we at NeHe are updating our tutorials(it just takes longer than we thought), and we have a beta out in this thread.
Download it and extract the texture loading class (neheTGATexture.cpp and .h) from lesson 05, it should work well for most systems.

Thanks for the replies, one of the tutorials I had looked over that involved texture loading was the NeHe tutorial, so I am going to check out the updated Nehe tutorials.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!