• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kest

Your favorite quest

This topic is 4250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is just an idle question, since it's so quiet in here. What was your favorite quest in an RPG or adventure game? Anything goes, such as a randomly generated type of quest, the main quest that ends the game, or just delivering a package. And if you have time, what is the worst quest you've encountered? My favorite was a randomly generated search and rescue operation for an empoyee inside a lockdown corporate building in the game Shadowrun. Another favorite is probably stealing the parade military tank in Vice City. My worst encounter was probably clearing the rat caves in Fallout.

Advertisement
I like the ones where you solve someone's problem (something emotionally meaningful) or get something that changes your character's appearance, like a disguise.

Quote:
Original post by Kest
My worst encounter was probably clearing the rat caves in Fallout.

The WOW ones have that beat. They ask for things like 10 Kobold teeth (or something stupid), but only 1 in 10 actually drops that item. Then they direct you to a place where only 3 Kobolds are there at once, and after killing them all (and most likely getting nothing), you need to walk in circles for a minute until another appears. And then kill it before another player gets there first.

I stopped playing after my 2 week trial.

My favourite quests are usually the ones where the designers place some extremely tough enemies somewhere that you aren't meant to kill, but you try to kill them anyway. It's very satisfying when you think you've just beaten the designer.

Quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
I like the ones where you solve someone's problem (something emotionally meaningful) or get something that changes your character's appearance, like a disguise.

Do you mind adding more detail? What type of quest would be emotionally meaningful? Something personal for an important NPC? And regarding the disguise, do you mean to obtain and use the disguise only during the quest, or when completing the quest lands you a new one? Or did you just mean that it's fun to trick the enemy by posing as their lackies? [smile]

Quote:
Original post by hh10k
My favourite quests are usually the ones where the designers place some extremely tough enemies somewhere that you aren't meant to kill, but you try to kill them anyway. It's very satisfying when you think you've just beaten the designer.

Absolutely. Nothing beats winning the unwinnable or killing the unkillable. It's too bad we can't take advantage of this element by designing the game a certain way. If the designer adds more than just a few 'impossible' feats to accomplish, the player would begin to see right through it.

The best quest to me are when you get something you didn't think was on the game or something you completely forgot the game featured. Like on the Ocarina when you got Epona for the first time and you finally win and jump over the gate with her. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Good times.

Quote:
Original post by Kest
Quote:

Do you mind adding more detail? What type of quest would be emotionally meaningful? Something personal for an important NPC? And regarding the disguise, do you mean to obtain and use the disguise only during the quest, or when completing the quest lands you a new one? Or did you just mean that it's fun to trick the enemy by posing as their lackeys? [smile]

Well, in general I like to be able to customize my avatar's appearance, so the 'disguise' might just be a reward of an article of clothing or other accessory, but I also like temporarily dressing up as the enemy, a different gender, a uniform or costume for a job, or going to a different reality and looking like a toy or a demon or a mermaid there... anything like that is good. I guess seeing an avatar's clothes change makes the avatar seem more like a real person and less like a 2-dimensional action figure who _is_ their job, so they are always in costume. And of course it's visually interesting, after 10 or 20 hours of gameplay you get bored of looking at the same avatar.

Now that I think about it, creative (ingredient-gathering) quests are also good, as long as they have a dramatic visual result. Like, an NPC wants to make a hang-glider and after you bring them all the pieces you get a little movie of them flying, or better yet you get to try it yourself.

Emotionally meaningful, that's harder to pin down... It can't be "Go retrieve my lost X." or "Go take vengeance on Y for me." It has to be more like, "Oh woe is me I can't decide whether I should dislike this guy because my race doesn't like his or I should be friends with him because he needs help and he's interesting." or "I have a crush on that girl but she won't notice me no matter what I do, can you talk to her?"

Quote:
Original post by Kest
Quote:

Do you mind adding more detail? What type of quest would be emotionally meaningful? Something personal for an important NPC? And regarding the disguise, do you mean to obtain and use the disguise only during the quest, or when completing the quest lands you a new one? Or did you just mean that it's fun to trick the enemy by posing as their lackies? [smile]

My favorite quest from World of Warcraft kind of fits in this category.

There's a young Paladin who was told his father died when he was a young boy and eventually joined a group that strongly resembles a cult. His father directs you on a long series of quests to collect objects from the Paladin's childhood to remind him of his honor and to show him that his father is still alive. You're then given a disguise to sneak deep into the cult's base and help him realize the truth. He then turns on the cult members and you fight your way out of the base together to reunite with his father. Eventually, he's ambushed and killed and his father arrives and helps you defeat the murderer.

Everytime I would see someone doing the last step of the quest, I would always jump in and try to save the Paladin, hoping that maybe this time he could survive to see his father again.

Quote:
Original post by hh10k

Slightly OT (since it's not an RPG), but you just reminded me of an experience I had playing X-Wing back in the old days. During a mission, I managed to take down a star destroyer. Unfortunately, I had to deviate from the actual mission objective in order to have enough time. After the mission, it tells me that I failed. "But I just took down a F%*!ING STAR DESTROYER!!!" Definitely not what the designers were expecting. =/ You'd think there'd at LEAST be an easter egg or a hidden level. Meh.

coderx75: Yes I've seen similar things, almost belongs in the worst feature thread rather than here. I remember a mission in some game where there were a few AI team mates and you had to protect one guy. I quickly killed off all the enemies in the area then wandered off to kill some bigger beasties... when I came back the 4 AI squadies had failed to protect the leader from the lowliest creature around and I had failed. Wish I remember what that game was, quite annoying but funny at the same time :)

Quote:
Original post by coderx75
Slightly OT (since it's not an RPG), but you just reminded me of an experience I had playing X-Wing back in the old days. During a mission, I managed to take down a star destroyer. Unfortunately, I had to deviate from the actual mission objective in order to have enough time. After the mission, it tells me that I failed. "But I just took down a F%*!ING STAR DESTROYER!!!" Definitely not what the designers were expecting. =/ You'd think there'd at LEAST be an easter egg or a hidden level. Meh.

Sorry to drag this further off-topic, but I remember those missions in X-Wing; it was one of my favourite games at the time. The amusing part for me was that the whole first campaign was destroying the star destroyer Intrepid, however I tended to blow it up in every mission. The designers had tried to defend it by making it launch waves of TIE Fighters when attacked, but that was the part I enjoyed the most [smile]. I found it amusing that the whole campaign was going through these complex hoops to sneak a bomb aboard the Intrepid for the big pay-off at the end of the campaign when I'd already got seven star destroyers on my kill sheet.

As for the actual question, I'm not sure what my favourite quest would be. I suppose the one that springs first to mind is the main quest of Planescape Torment, but that's purely because it's the reverse of nearly every RPG out there (if you haven't played the game you really should track down a copy and play it).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!