Your most depised game "features"

Started by
141 comments, last by ukdeveloper 16 years, 11 months ago
Warcraft 1 only allowed 4 units! But yeah, what Xai said, it's a UI thing. But I'd like to mention the Rise of Nations UI actually combined the two. You could select as many as you'd like and get portrait boxes too.

Game: The Sims and Sims 2
Feature: Going to the bathroom, washing dishes, taking a shower, and other mundane tasks
Comments: I absolutely hated telling my Sims to do these things. I have a belief that I should play video games to do things that I can't do in real life (like flying a spaceship or commanding armies). Why should I play a game to do everyday mundane things? While you can choose to not order your Sims to do these things, if you don't micromanage them they'll piss on the floor and never shower and miss work.

The only time it was fun to micromanage was when you are trying to get your guy to woo-hoo with every woman on the block (plus the maid) and not let them find out what's going on.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Xai
Anyone who doesn't understand why starcraft has 12 unit selection limit doesn't belong on this site. Could they do better, sure, look at Warcraft 3, or other games that get it "right". Is the stupid limit worth complaining about, yes! But to not know WHY the limit exists, that's idiotic.

It exists solely for the UI.

I don't buy that answer. First of all, I hardly ever look at my units health when I'm playing a SC game (its so f*#&ing hard to heal anything anyway, except for terran infantry by using medics), unless its a game where I have only a few units and each is absolutely vital to keep alive. They could easily make better use of that space by showing a single unit icon and a "x20" or however many of that unit there are, and then show the average health of the group instead, which IMO would be much more meaningful to the player.

I much more inclined to agree with Rasterman that it was an artificial limitation imposed for pathfinding, but then again the original C&C which was released 3 years prior to StarCraft had no such limitation, nor did I ever notice any slowdown when moving a large group of units. So I have to wonder what the difference was between the pathfinding algorithms employed in these two games.

[Edited by - Roots on April 20, 2007 10:11:44 PM]

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

Quote:Original post by Xai
Anyone who doesn't understand why starcraft has 12 unit selection limit doesn't belong on this site. Could they do better, sure, look at Warcraft 3, or other games that get it "right". Is the stupid limit worth complaining about, yes! But to not know WHY the limit exists, that's idiotic. [...]

You're saying the reason for the 12 unit limit is their avatars in the bottom of the screen. In Starcraft, these avatars provide no other function than a spiced up health bar. In most games you can see the selected units health bar anyways.

Don't call people idiots, especially not if you're going to present some very vague argument to support it.

Game: Hitman 2
Feature: Snipers that knows a real ninja from a fake 500 meters away.
Description: On one of the maps you have to go through a huge open map full of towers with snipers. If you're in line of sight to any of them, you'll be dead within seconds, even if you're disguised. And to top it off, the towers have no entrance (I wonder if the snipers were bourn in there), so you can't get up there and take care of them.
Game:too many to count
Feature: at very start of game long winded fmv
Comments: the thing is i don't really give a damn about the complete history of the game world before iv even started playing, have it told by npc's or books in the game that i can choose to ignore or if it has to be a long fmv do it after iv played a bit and am actually interested. Try to foreshadow the plot a bit and after the player is curios about all the plot hooks then explain the background behind them.
Quote:Original post by Kaze
Game:too many to count
Feature: at very start of game long winded fmv
Comments: the thing is i don't really give a damn about the complete history of the game world before iv even started playing, have it told by npc's or books in the game that i can choose to ignore or if it has to be a long fmv do it after iv played a bit and am actually interested. Try to foreshadow the plot a bit and after the player is curios about all the plot hooks then explain the background behind them.

I, on the other hand, absolutely love beginning FMV's :D Especially when they're done tastefully, like in Warcraft III. Most games could benefit from more cut-scenes and more pre-rendered FMV's.

Game: Haegemonia
Feature: Arbitrarily tiny total unit limit.
Comments: You're only allowed something like ten units total, if I recall correctly. Try to defend six to ten colonies across three to five star systems with only ten units to maneuver with. By the time you get to your target, billions of colonists have died.
Quote:Original post by Roots
I much more inclined to agree with Rasterman that it was an artificial limitation imposed for pathfinding, but then again the original C&C which was released 3 years prior to Allacrost had no such limitation, nor did I ever notice any slowdown when moving a large group of units. So I have to wonder what the difference was between the pathfinding algorithms employed in these two games.

Snicker. Roots, get Allacrost off your mind mate.
Game: Most single player games
Feature: Lack of multiplayer co-op
Comment: I understand it isn't easy to implement, which is why not every game has it, but virtually no games have it, and so many people want it. Halo is one of the best series in the history of gaming, not only because both Halos have been completely awesome games (if you're into shooters), but because they've had two-player co-op. Every shooter I've seen since Halo cannot compete simply because it doesn't have co-op. The only deep, involving game I've ever seen with co-op is System Shock 2 (one of my all-time faves).

Games I wish had co-op: Outcast (still my contender for the best game ever made), Gothic I/II/III (I understand Gothic I was going to have co-op when they were using the Quake engine, and then they changed plans), any of the Elder Scrolls (especially Oblivion), Alien Shooter 1/2 (what the hell were they thinking?), Doom 3 (at least there's a mod now), Quake 4, Thief: Deadly Shadows (some MP game types would have been nice; Thievery mod for UT doesn't count), Deus Ex 1/2 (there's a co-op mod for the original, but it doesn't utilize the original missions), Far Cry (co-op mod is way broken), Vampire: Bloodlines — and Half-life 2 for that matter; Sven co-op is dead as far as I'm concerned — and finally, Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl (again, they were planning co-op, stripped it out toward the end).

You can tell I'm a co-op gamer. I don't like competitive games. But, seriously, if we're talking "features," here's my grievance:

Game: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Feature: It's a shooter
Comment: Did the developers have any idea the whole Cthulhu mythos is about investigating creepy things and not shooting/sneaking around? It should have been an adventure game, like the old ones (no pun intended).

We all could rant on this matter for hours, and that's a good thing. It's interesting to see what people hate so we can cater to a specific audience. My peaves generally involved poorly designed UI's made by people who don't understand the fundamental principles of visual programming, how a mouse works, and so on. MMORPG's will go down in history as having the worst designed GUI's in computer software. Anarchy Online will bear the crown.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

Game: Many, but modern JRPGs (such as Final Fantasy) are the biggest offenders
"Feature": Arbitrary quests that require a strategy guide
Final Fantasy XII is one of the worst offenders I've seen yet. Dozens of side quests, entire dungeons, hunts, loads of summon spells, the best weapon in the game, etc can only be obtained by performing some arbitrary and completely random act. This is a ploy by the publisher to sell more strategy guides and increase their profit, and I find it to be extremely rude to the players. I want to be able to say "I 100% mastered this game without using the guide" like I could with older games in the series. Instead, I pretty much have to sit with the guide in my lap and read some side missions step by step.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Quote:Original post by ajones
Game: Halo (1 and 2?)... and many others 'featuring' a torch
Feature: Torch battery drains
Comments: It's dark -> I can't see anything -> slightly annoyed. TORCH ON -> okay, continue... Torch battery expires -> TORCH OFF -> WTF. Wait until torch battery recharges... TORCH ON-> okay, continue... [rinse, repeat]

I know the torch is intended to increase the sense of atmosphere in dark, scary games (I see the point), but [1] I don't have a torch in real life that dies every minute or two, [2] surely the designer could have added the intended atmosphere another way (sound, gameplay, story...?), and [3] all the designer has achieved is for me to sit and wait for the recharge anyway... grr!

Play Half-Life 2: Episode 1. They have a couple of fights that have a whole new dimension just because of the lack of light and batteries for the flashlight. It might change your opinion. Waiting to recharge between fights might be boring, but needing to do it in the middle of a fight with zombies that you can't see coming from all directions is quite entertaining. Possibly frustrating, but certainly not boring.

Game: Doom games
Feature: Jokes
Comments: Isn't this game supposed to be scary? Why are they cracking jokes? Am I supposed to be afraid or laugh? I am confused.
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Game: Megaman and Megaman X
Feature: Sequels which don't carryover weapons from the original
Comments: Why? I got all these weapons and enhancements in Megaman X5 (for the record it could be any megaman) and in Megaman X6 I have to find the same enhancements again and start off as a weakling that doesn't have access to anything I had before. Why?

Do you really see yourself playing Megaman X8 with the weapons from megaman 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6,x7? That'd be a bit crazy lol

Game: Megaman X7(?)/X8
Feature: 3D
Comments: Don't even try, megaman will always be cooler in 2D with sprites.

Game: Megaman Xes
Feature: Repetitive storyline
Comments: Here's the average megaman X storyline : a new group of malicious robots was formed. Meanwhile, the resistance welcome a new crew member (*cough* Double *cough* Axl *cough*). Zero has been killed, it's part must be found to build him again. The shadowy mysterious head of the new group sends out 8 mavericks to destroy stuff. You collect Zero's parts, build him back. The new resistence member is a traitor, you kill him. You get in the dephts of the enemy base and see the shadowy mysterious dude... OMG IT WAS SIGMA! You beat him, then he comes back with his new "ultimate body", you beat him again then credits with megaman talking on a hill with the enemy base exploding in the background.

Seriously they could vary the scheme a little bit

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement