Your most depised game "features"

Started by
141 comments, last by ukdeveloper 16 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by InnocuousFox

Make up your mind. Do you want realism or not?

Realism has a bad stigma.

How about "reasonablism?"

Monsters should either drop everything they're wearing or only the stuff that's useful to you. In Diablo II, they randomly drop stuff that may either be useful to you or not. Not really realistic. You can't loot and vendor every hatchet and shield every enemy is using, so why have them randomly drop useless crap at all?

Either it's all OK or none of it is.
::FDL::The world will never be the same
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Nytehauq

Either it's all OK or none of it is.

I disagree. What would a typical orc (for genericability) be carrying? A lot of generally useless (to us) stuff. Maybe he has something cool.

Now, I DO agree with the idea that the typical beast shouldn't have crap. Having a cow carrying anything, much less a potion, is silly. Even monsters that are generally mindless carrying things is stupid.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Game: MegaMan Battle Network 4, 5 and 6
Feature: "minigames"
Comments: why add minigames to an action-based RPG? The first 3 games was excellent, especially 2 and 3, each with unique and interesting features, but then they added minigames from 4 to 6, and it just became 10% story, 90% minigames. What is up with that? The overall game for 1, 2 and 3 was awesome! Capcom, you fail deeply...
Game: FFXII (Again)
Feature: Can't pause during mist sequences.
Comments: I know some people could use that to cheat, but come on... when the phone rings or something it's quite boring, 1st because if you stop the combo you lost a lot of MP in vain and 2nd because you need to wait the animation to finish to pause. It just sucks.

Also,IMHO I think to solve this save game issues the solution would be a "Way of the samurai" like quick-save.
Imagine, you could quick-save at anytime but once you loaded the saved game the file would be deleted.
Game: Any (no specific in mind)
Feature: Poorly balanced difficulties
Comments: Easy mode barely requires you to be conscious, normal is a breeze for an average gamer but hard is essentially impossible. The most mediocre peon in normal mode because a god laying waste to the player and his forces. If I up the difficulty one step, I expect it to get slightly more difficult not a joke.

Game: Any
Feature: Been mentioned before but unreasonable bosses
Comments: One of the lamest things that I ever run across in a game. The regular enemies you fight should somewhat prepare you for the final fight. It is very annoying to skim through a level thinking it will be cake and once you reach the boss within ten seconds you are loading the level again (a whole 'nother issue).

Game: Mmo's (most of them)
Feature: Wow clone (generic fantasy rpg)
Comments: I know lots of people want a piece of the Wow pie, but guess what? Wow kind of has a hold on that market. If you want to do well come up with a good original idea (hint: if it has elves and magic odds are you aren't as original as you might think). I for one would love to see more Sci-fi games, but that is just me.

Game: Most space games
Feature: Star Wars/Hollywood physics
Comments: Been mentioned before but it really bugs me. If I turn off my engines I should not slowly glide to a stop. My ship does not need to point in a direction to go that way, it should be able to strafe. Combat in real space ships will likely not involve machine guns at close range, just look at how modern dogfighting has evolved. Yes dogfighting is fun, but a game that required you to be stealthy and plan you attacks from great ranges (hundreds of kilometers at least) could be fun too.
Game: Civilization series
Feature: micro management
Comments: Ok, I know that this is the main feature of the game, and on early-mid game it is essentially a lot of fun. But once we reach end-game, there are so many cities that I just get lost, and I find myself playing the game just to see if my early-mid-game management would have paid-off in the future. Actually, Civilization IV made it very less anoying (both by making automation smarter and by requiring a less number of cities to make a decent empire), but you can't say it doesen't exist anymore.

Game: Neverwinter Nights
Feature: Level progression
Comments: Basically, I wasn't really atached to the story, or the characters, I just wanted to build 3rd edition characters and see them killing things (so I'm a power-gamer... sue me). But the Level progression is so damn slow that I need to play several hour just to get one level up. Yes, maybe this is because I'm fighting monsters with a CR that is too low for my current level, but hey, I also want to loot all the treasure. The point is, frequently I found myself anoyed by the game - I wasn't having any fun, but was playing it just to get a bloody level-up.

Game: Neverwinter Nights (again)
Feature: Only one character to play with
Comments: I think the reason I was so upset in the above rant was because I only had one character. I mean, in Icewind Dale II, or in Baldur's Gate, they would let me control 6 characters. This means I can level-up six times more, and try different classes at the same time. I mean, what's the point of having eleven classes if I can only play one at a time?

Game: Starcraft
Feature: Micromanagement
Comments: Again, I really loved micromanaging my games, but this is up to a point. Sometimes, I just want to throw hordes of soldiers against the enemy, sit down and relax, wacthing all the caos. Problem is that, can't my spellcasters work on their own? Even worse then that, is the mad mouseclicking you have at the start of the game, knowing the edge you get in the early-game will make a lot of difference later. Warcraft III was a great evolution in these aspects, but it was not Starcraft :*( (don't get me wrong, I loved Warcraft III so much I can't even think of any flaws big enought to rant about - but starcraft was just awesome).

Game: Warcraft III (ok, got one)
Feature: Arthas - the Kerrigan in skirts
Comments: Well, sorry, Kerrigan was much more of an bad-ass. Maybe because everybody knew that Arthas was going to betray them (the beta 3d model for the death knight and the one for Arthas were way to similar), but I was much more atached to Kerrigan then I was with him - and by the time I played Starcraft, my english wasn't very good, so I missed half the storyline.

By the way, I know that my rants make me look like I just want the game to play by itself. That is true, I really wished I could just skeep the boring mechanics, and make the decisions that really mathered. Chalange is to make something like that and still keep the game fun, but I believe it can be done (Spore looks really promissing).
Quote:Original post by bmanruler

Comments: I know lots of people want a piece of the Wow pie, but guess what? Wow kind of has a hold on that market. If you want to do well come up with a good original idea (hint: if it has elves and magic odds are you aren't as original as you might think). I for one would love to see more Sci-fi games, but that is just me.

You can’t possibly be saying people are copying WOW with elves and magic can you? Copying D&D or Tolkien or EQ or ultima online or something like that, alright, but WOW come on. There have been hundreds of games using the elves, dwarves, monsters, magic and humans setting. It was cliché before warcraft 1 (the RTS), heck it was before there even were video games.

But then if you look at wow that kinda goes against your point of staying away from that genera. WOW used the endlessly cliché setting and made something great out of it, so why can’t anyone else?
Quote:Original post by Ahnfelt

Game: Hitman 2
Feature: Snipers that knows a real ninja from a fake 500 meters away.
Description: On one of the maps you have to go through a huge open map full of towers with snipers. If you're in line of sight to any of them, you'll be dead within seconds, even if you're disguised. And to top it off, the towers have no entrance (I wonder if the snipers were bourn in there), so you can't get up there and take care of them.

Yep. That was dumb.

Game: Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon
Feature: Broken ass fighting engine, the fact that almost everyone has a sash around their waist, fake looking blood and gore, reused character animations, plastic like graphics and graphics that don't look like they've been updated between games.
Description: The fighting engine has too many flaws, like to many cheap tricks, the moves come out to fast and no wake up games in DA and Deception.
Click here for more info.
Quote:Original post by Joystickgenie
Quote:Original post by bmanruler

You can’t possibly be saying people are copying WOW with elves and magic can you? Copying D&D or Tolkien or EQ or ultima online or something like that, alright, but WOW come on. There have been hundreds of games using the elves, dwarves, monsters, magic and humans setting. It was cliché before warcraft 1 (the RTS), heck it was before there even were video games.

But then if you look at wow that kinda goes against your point of staying away from that genera. WOW used the endlessly cliché setting and made something great out of it, so why can’t anyone else?

I thought my wording wasn't exactly what I meant on that part. Didn't mean to imply that all games with magic and elves are clones of Wow, agree that would be stupid. But the fantasy MMO genre is just a bit oversaturated imho.
Game: Condemned
Feature: In your face interface
Comments: You are fighting against evil drug addicts and whacking them with whatever is close. Suddenly that addict hits you in the head. Your character goes "argh" the screen goes red. You keep clicking and pressing just about any button on the keyboard to get back in the game. After a few seconds a new screen comes up and tells you "you are dead". Wouldn't be easier by just having a key for reloading, like backspace f12 or whatever. Something like "you are dead press f12 to reload latest save".

Feature: out of the blue ending
Comments: Beeing totally immersed in the game suddenly someone tells me "kill him, he's the cause of it" and later on something like "he wasn't alone, it was a cult". Especially the cult seems like a last minute add-on. I wonder how the talk went on monolith, "Everyone is using it, besides cults are creepy - we want one too" :)

Game: Just about any linear game where you are "someone"
Feature: Getting stuck
Comments: You can't find the red keycard to the door and you can't imagine where the keycard is stored. Eventually you go online and read the walkthrough. Instead allow the player to call to some operator, a higher power or whatever to find out the path to the keycard.
Some people might dislike this, but I rather ease on the challenge then break the immersion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement