Does OpenGL have feature parity with DirectX on the new GF8800 GTX class GPUs?

Started by
2 comments, last by SimonForsman 17 years ago
Just an honest question, I am guessing anything that OpenGL itself doesn't expose is exposed through extensions?
Advertisement
NV currently has a bunch of extensions which you can use to access (what I believe are) the majority of DX10 features.

OpenGL2.1 pre-dates DX10 hardware so it lacks the features and OpenGL Longs Peak is effectively going to be a cleaned up and improved 2.1 but still targeting 'current' hardware (DX9 level), OpenGL Mt Evans which will follow a few months behind Longs Peak will be targeting DX10 hardware and beyond with it's feature set.
Quote:Original post by consolejoker
Just an honest question, I am guessing anything that OpenGL itself doesn't expose is exposed through extensions?

Maybe you should reformulate the last part of your question.

To answer the first one: Yes, Nvidia's drivers offer the same functionality (and some more) to OpenGL than DirectX 10 currently has. This is also true for Linux and FreeBSD, however there are still some bugs in the 9x-series drivers. Dont know about series 150/160 though...
--
On Windows Vista using vendor specific extensions you have exactly the same functionality in D3D and OpenGL on the G80 cards.

In Windows 2000/XP you are limited to D3D9 if you choose D3D while OpenGL gets the full feature set.

I wouldn't know about 9x/Me but i'd be suprised if nvidia actually bothered releasing fully featured drivers for such old systems for their new cards. so on those systems you are probalby a long way from fully featured no matter what API you choose.

The main problem with OpenGL is ofcourse that we don't yet know what extensions AMD/ATI will expose

Though the important ones(those required for SM4 functionality) are avaliable as EXT extensions allready and should thus be supported by AMD/ATI.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement