• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RameshSheela

Design Query

This topic is 4173 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have one design query. How to handle the files simultaneous coming from 32 clients(Processors) on to a server. Files from 32 clients will comes in to 32 directories on sever. On server, I have to format these files. How should I handle this type of scenario. Should I use directory notifications or using threads(by creating threads for each directory). Thanks in advance. Regards Ramesh

Advertisement
You could set up a cron job, checking for the files and starting your "app", if necessary.

You should describe your problem a bit more.
Are there dependencies between the files.
Is your app running all the time?
Maybe a script is more appropriate, if it's just "formatting" a file.

[Edited by - hydroo on April 20, 2007 10:09:53 AM]

Hi,

Actually I am writing a service only for this. In that service only, how should I process the files coming from many Systems to a single system in to the respective directories.

I can handle these files using Directory notifications or should I use threads for high performance.

You still need to provide more information about what is happening; things such as, how do the clients deliver their data?

If you want to process each file as it arrives, use directory notifications. By "using threads (for high performance)", I can only assume you mean continuously scanning the directories for changes in the file list, which is an abhorrently slow and inefficient polling mechanism.

If you have control over the clients and the server both, you might want to consider having the server listen on a socket and the clients deliver their data like that; to simplify things, maybe use an existing protocol like HTTP Posts to a CGI script to deliver files.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!