question about programming

Started by
9 comments, last by Chad Smith 17 years ago
ive seen pictures of an engines preformance. for experienced programmers they offer a more advance version of the engine. the pictures showed games with better graphics. does better programming make better graphics?
Advertisement
better programming is usually more features that ALLOW artists to do more (but it doesn't inherently make the game better , porting a 1990 game to a new engine will not change it's look one bit , unless you renew the art)

seriously here's the best advice i can give you after your multiple threads , if you want to make a game & do it by yourself learn a language 1st & totally forget about anything else (including art & 3D & anything ressembling a game) i'd suggest C# because i like it but i hear good things about python , if you want to go with C# download this to type code in & make programs :

click here download it & install it , FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO INSTALL IT , if you have such questions as "it doesn't offer me to make a windows application" you simply didn't follow instructions correctly so search by yourself for a bit before asking , we're not a search engine .

get a book on C# to go along with the software , i used C# reference manual from microsoft press & liked it but not sure how it compares to other .

once AND ONLY once you got the basic of a language done you can start to learn some graphical programming and ALONG WITH THIS will come the knowledge of how all things in games come together (including art production tools & such) it will definately not train you for art but at least you'll know where each job start & stop best & will have a good feel for wich parts of the game you wanna work on (or at least be able to asses the amount of work it would be to do it all by yourself)
whats the difference between c# and c++ and will the download allow you to create 3d games?
i went to the link and they have it in C++ as well. should i get the c++ or c#? and isnt c++ better?
Quote:Original post by m09868
whats the difference between c# and c++ and will the download allow you to create 3d games?

Yes, it will. After two years of full-time effort, at an absolute minimum. There is no way to create a 3D game without lots and lots of effort. You seem to believe that you can open up a magic 3D-game-maker program and have the next Counterstrike ready in a day or two. Give up that notion. Forget you ever heard the word '3D'. Learn to program; that means starting by learning to print 'Hello World' to the screen. Ask us questions about how to do that, and then come back when you've done it. You are just not ready for 3D, or even graphics. Sorry.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
first of all i dont believe in a magic 3d game making software. i know it will take work before i can make 3d games.
After reading some of your previous threads, I dont think you understand how
complex 3d games really are.

Buying and using any 3d modeling/level editing program, and getting an
engine is useless if you dont know how to use them.

The engine is only a component--It contains library code and tools to aid you
in developing your game code, it *does NOT* make the game for you.

In order to use the engines library code, someone has to write the software
(your game code).

In other words, you have to learn how to program first.

Hope this helps;
is there a second of all?

Anyhow, if you understand how much work it will take (which doesn't seem apparent, but I'll bite for now) then great! If you still choose to start directly with 3D instead of working out some simple text programs first, then we're all in trouble. Either you will get so discouraged very quickly, and completely give up early on, or you will be here multiple times daily asking questions about everything.

There are a ton of steps along the way to where you want to be. You should start small, and learn those steps as you go, before even imagining what your big 3D game with Maya-made models will be like.
i know how hard it is. it took me forever to learn the hello world program.
so i figure 3d games must be a million times harder to make
All right, good. Then why all these dang threads about modeling tools? You don't need no stinkin' modeling tools, you need to learn enough OpenGL to display a rotating, coloured cube. Then we can talk importing pre-existing models, and when you understand that, then come ask us about Mayawave, or whatever the flavour of that particular decade will be. Get thee OpenGLing, go!
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement