exactly how is a game put together

Started by
6 comments, last by xeloj 16 years, 12 months ago
im using visual c++ maya personal learning edition for modeling and body paint 3d for texturing. now what? how are the models imported to the game.
Advertisement
also how are the levels built? do i need something
well models are generally imported to the game through some sort of model loading code and the data is stored in data structures (typically buffers of vertices, normals etc).

terrains are often modeled in modelling packages too, though it depends on the game.

as for actually building a 'level', well thats a bit more complex. a level is made up of an enviroment, enviromental objects (crates, plants etc), audio, game scripts/triggers, enemies...

for solo projects most programmers just hard code what they want/need.

however if you're working on a project in a more structured enviroment you will probibally have some sort of level editing software that will let you load in a map, then set spawn points, trigger points etc. I can't tell if you're a programmer or an artists so i don't want to get too technical.
do you know a good cheap level editing program that is compatible with what i have
Quote:Original post by m09868
maya personal learning edition for modeling
That's not going to work out. PLE can't save to any usable formats.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Id suggest taking a level editor for a game you have access to, publicly available online, and then locate the model exporters for that game and starting there.

Good starting points would be something like Quake 3 Arena, the level tools and model exporting are pretty basic. Also the game's SDK is very simple to work with too.
what do you mean by cant save to usable formats.
do you know another version of maya (that is cheap) that can save.
and if you do would you be able to transfer your already made models from learning edition to the other version of maya?
Quote:Original post by m09868
what do you mean by cant save to usable formats.
do you know another version of maya (that is cheap) that can save.
and if you do would you be able to transfer your already made models from learning edition to the other version of maya?

I've made simple games using middleware engines. Most of the time what format you need depends on what the middleware engine can import through their own tools. For instance I've used 3D Game Studio by Acknex and their model viewer can import either .obj (very common format), or .x (directX). Since Maya 5.0, I know you can export .x, and .obj, you just need to enable the plugin that gives you the option in Maya. Not sure about the Maya PLE version though...

So the basic process of importing art assets is you model what you want in your modeling program (Maya, Max, etc). Then you should have an option when you click the "file" tab that says "export as", then you can choose different formats to export out as. Then with the model viewing tool of the middleware engine, you can usually import that file format into something that's usuable within the engine. That's a very clunky pipeline, but unless you know how to write file parsers, it's probably the most streamlined you can get.
------------------------Arise,arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered, a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement