• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
m09868

is lightwave good for modeling

This topic is 4196 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

considering how i cant use maya personal learning edition for making games i was wondering how much does lightwave cost?

Advertisement
as was mentioned in your topic named is there a maya website, learn to search!

A quick search of mine turned up 3 different prices at 3 different places (looking only at the top couple items from search results).

yes, lightwave is very good for modeling! unlike maya, lightwave doensn't use manipulators to drag points around as you model. if you are in HS still or in college, LightWave is only $195 (regular price $795)! it is a great deal. beg your parents for it, pimp yourself on the street, find a rich girlfriend, rob a bank, just get it lol. croteam uses lightwave, i believe some of the unreal games used lightwave, fable was made with lightwave... the problem with lightwave though is the UV editor is fairly unfriendly (but it's much better now than in previous versions), has a heavy reliance on plugins, working in layout after working in modeler is kind of strange, and it uses a dongle (how archaic!).

by the way, academic versions of max and maya complete are about $400 and $300 respectively if i remember right. also very good values and available for students K-12 and college.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!