• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
brandonman

start a game

This topic is 4075 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've run through the first 21 tutorials on nehe (excluding some text ones :P ) and am hoping to at least start a simple game. Could anyone help point me in the right direction, maybe some links. thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Well, what exactly is it you are looking for help with? (Game development in general, with OpenGL specifically, Game design, etc.)

Well I think you still have to figure out exactly what you want to do. Your description of your project is extremely vague, it could describe thousands of games already out there. Try to come up with at least some kind of game, and start from there, keeping the whole game simple. If you've never done any programming, you'll be surprised how difficult it is to write code to do what you really want. But all I can say is, good luck.

The bad news is that people who go through the NeHe tutorials tend to become adept at copying and pasting and learn very little about programming. If NeHe has been your only significant OpenGL experience so far, you should seek other programming resources.

Quote:
Original post by brandonman
I want to make a game with opengl. as in a 3D game. nothing really complicated.

Well OK, I got that from your first post. What I'm asking is what part specifically do you require help with? Making a game is incredibly broad, especially when you don't even have a genre...Either way, all your post says right now is "I am making a game." How can we help if you don't tell us what it is you need help with?

Try something 2D instead, tetris, asteroids, snake, etc
Those 3 are all quite simple and easy to implement, (You can still use OpenGL and 3D graphics while keeping the game logic in 2D)

nah ! Better idea:

do a simple 3d fps.
have a terrain with some moving objects (cubes/spheres) on it that you have to shoot (and then they explode) within some time limit.

This will teach you
1)rudimentary AI
2)3d movement
3)collision detection
4)terrains - use triangle strips
5)time independent movement
6) particle systems

Then to go further you should try and make it look good and also to try and make it run fast (or start on a proper game with a proper game engine). So do the following:

1) add frustrum culling to your game
1) add 3d pre-animated characters that you can shoot - either use vertext or skeletal animation
2) create terrain texture that has shadows/grass+snow+rocks+sand. This will teach you texture blitting/blatting
3) do a skybox with it
4) do level partition on the terrain - by dividing into patches and only draw the patches inside the frustum
5) load terrain/models onto VBOs
6) make AI cleverer.
7) maybe add buildings
8) maybe trigger points so you can rn over them to get health.

Just a suggestion.

@Sneftel:
Quote:
The bad news is that people who go through the NeHe tutorials tend to become adept at copying and pasting and learn very little about programming.

I couldn't agree more. The way I first go into OpenGL programming was by downloading the code from the Tutorials and then sort of mishmashing them together to get what I wanted. Then I decided to go back to basics and actually learning about getting the Context, creating the window etc and I learnt so much more.

@brandonman: Firstly, good luck and have fun. But also, one thing I've found from making my game, plan everything, don't just do it when you get there because you find going over code that's 6 months-1 year later to implement a feature is 1) time-consuming 2) you end up rewriting the whole thing anyway.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!