start a game

Started by
11 comments, last by Buster2000 16 years, 11 months ago
This is a good link to start on.

Once you have read the entire thing, and believe in what it says, I'd go here next.

Hmm, if you haven't already checked this link out, it's got a crapload of sweet information. This section has to do with creating a game design document, which might help get you started.

You can't make a game if you don't know what your going to make. So first think about what kind of game your interested in attempting. A shooter, an RPG, something with multi-user options? Next you should go with what your best with. If your good at making 3d models and animation, or have access to someone who is, then go for it. However if your still new with the 3d world, I'd just stick with 2d until you gain more knowledge.

These days there are some pretty sweet looking 2d games. Maybe you could make a 2d version of your game, and then once you get the mechanics and stuff all figured out, you can develope a 3d version.

The first thing I would do though is write down what kind of game you want to make, then go from there.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ade-the-heat
nah ! Better idea:

do a simple 3d fps.
have a terrain with some moving objects (cubes/spheres) on it that you have to shoot (and then they explode) within some time limit.

This will teach you
1)rudimentary AI
2)3d movement
3)collision detection
4)terrains - use triangle strips
5)time independent movement
6) particle systems

Then to go further you should try and make it look good and also to try and make it run fast (or start on a proper game with a proper game engine). So do the following:

1) add frustrum culling to your game
1) add 3d pre-animated characters that you can shoot - either use vertext or skeletal animation
2) create terrain texture that has shadows/grass+snow+rocks+sand. This will teach you texture blitting/blatting
3) do a skybox with it
4) do level partition on the terrain - by dividing into patches and only draw the patches inside the frustum
5) load terrain/models onto VBOs
6) make AI cleverer.
7) maybe add buildings
8) maybe trigger points so you can rn over them to get health.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks all for the ideas. This is probably the path I'll take. Thanks again for the input!
If you've already done the first 21 tutorials then haven't you already made a simple game?
Tutorial 21 is a simple version of Gridrunner.
Why not try tweeking and customizing this to start off with?
Add things like power ups and particals and other cool effects. Theres tons of things that you could do with just this game to make it your own.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement