• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BUnzaga

'Best' export for 3ds Max?

This topic is 4161 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am fairly new to programming and 3d graphics. I have just done several tutorials online and out of books from my library. I was able to get my hands on a student version of 3ds Max, and I took CAD in highschool, so the layout is natural for me. In my most recent projects, I have been exporting objects as .x using the Panda .x exporter, and things have been good. I was mainly using a 3d IDE called DX Studio, and the .x format worked well with it. Now I am trying my best to branch off on my own, and learn C/C++/C# and with that openGL and DirectX, and everything else that goes with game programming. So my question is (finally): What is the 'best' export type I should be doing with 3ds max if I want to create objects and models and use them in either OpenGL or DirectX? I am leaning toward OpenGL, mainly because of the platform issue, but I am sure I will start out with DirectX, just because of the ease of use and amount of information available for it. In the past, I have had to loft textures, or use texture maps, and I wanted to know if there was an easy or popular export so I could use the native procedural maps in 3ds max, such as noise, smoke, radient ramps, etc. I would like to produce an object in 3ds max, hit export, and then import it into my game engine without having to first use a UV editor, or convert it to this format, and then import it into my game, etc, etc. It would also be nice to not have to hassle with animaiton issues, so if I have a character textured, and rigged, animated, etc in 3ds max, I would like to hit export, name my animation based off frames, and then I'm ready to go. So what have all you experienced is the 'best' export format for this?

Advertisement
Well you probably should make your own 3d max exporter. I can see you have learned much, well there is one more thing you need to learn 3d max script I made my own exporter for my game so can you.

I am using the .ase format, mainly because i can edit it later on and since it is human readable, i know what parts are in there and how to read them. The drawback is its size. A complex model i am using goes up to 200MB and beyond.

The .3ds format is not very well documented and exporting things other than pure geometry and animation is surely a problem. I had problems with mirrored geometry because Max 7 (at least) exported it as non mirrored and it ignores cameras, lights and helpers. Since it is a binary format, the file size is very small.

Check out the spirit parser from Boost for parsing ascii files.
Example:
Boost spirit ini file reader

h.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!