• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
J_O_B_E

GUI Toolkit for a purely interface-driven game

This topic is 4077 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am looking to create a interface-driven simulation game and want to find an easy-to-use GUI toolkit. I haven't [decided on] a language yet, but I am considering Python since it seems to be widely supported; I am still open to suggestions however. Features I would like are: -Cross-Platform -Skinnable -Animations, Fades -Sound -Drag-and-drop editor -Controls like tree-view, etc. -[Documentation] Something I could apply to future non-GUI-only projects would be useful as well. Thanks in advance [Edited by - J_O_B_E on April 21, 2007 7:20:05 AM]

Advertisement
Hi,

I hope you take this the right way, but if you haven't even learnt a language yet, this should be the furthest thought from your mind.

If you have a great game idea, but think you cannot program it, I would create a design document first.
Then either get into programming, or sell you idea if that's what you are looking for.

If you want to program it yourself, then learn programming first.
Start with a text based console application, move onto something 2D, then onto something 3D.

Learn the basics of a language, then game programming, then an API, and get some experience.

Worrying about GUI's and cross platforming, and drag-and-drop editor's, is "way" beyond" what you should be looking at right now.

So please, as I say, don't take this the wrong way, but I feel if you take this route, you will get frustrated and give up programming before you begin.

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate you taking the time to help me

I am not completely inexperienced... I don't know whether it was because it is for beginners, but I bought Torque Game Builder and was getting my game working in TorqueScript. It was too painful though because the documentation for the controls I wanted to use was non-existent, and I can't afford to buy the source and learn C++ or whatever I would need to do in order to decipher it. Something similar to TGB's Gui Builder but with documentation would be a godsend.

Sorry if I seem like the classic arrogant newbie; I am just trying to best explain my situation.

Thanks again

Once you learn python, it looks like wxPython would suit all of your needs.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!