• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dragon_Strike

sun and atmosphere

This topic is 4254 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

the sun resulting from the implementaiton of "Hoffman, Preetham "Rendering Outdoor Light Scatteringin Real Time" becomes huge!... how can this be solved to get a more realistic result? i know this have been discussed in several different topics,, mostly treated as a subtopic.. but as far as ive found by searching these forum no real solution have been found... the papers i have read so far doesnt even seem to discuss this... have anyone found a good way to solve this problem? *have this alrdy been discussed please just post the link and lock the thread...* EDIT:: changed the papers name... i mixed them up... [Edited by - Dragon_Strike on April 21, 2007 11:41:13 AM]

Advertisement
I am not sure if there is a real solution to this other than applying some tone mapping on top of the results. The big sun is basically caused when you clamp your color values to stay in range. The tone mapping can then adjust this. It requires some tweaking to get it all pretty.

Using some tone mapping and rendering the sun separately on top of the skydome is what I did in the engine of the game Black and White 2. At least I did the skydome part. Someone else added the rendering of the sun (I think just as billboard) on top of that later on.

It worked pretty well, but maybe someone else knows some improvements that look better. It would be great to hear if there are any other solutions to this :)

Not sure if we talk about an implementation of the same paper, but it has at least similar issues :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!