• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Codejack

DirectX Viewer (Feb 2007 SDK)

This topic is 4052 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys, Sorry I am sure this is a basic question. I have tried searching the web and haven't been able to find an answer :-( Whenever I try to view a .X file mesh in the DirectX viewer I get a bunch of error messages. This happens with simple meshes I create myself or even with the sample media (e.g. Tiny.X).
Loading model - C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2007)\Samples\Media\Tiny\tiny.x
Binormals do not exist on mesh.  Attempting to calculate.
Tangents do not exist on mesh.  Attempting to calculate.
'' material 0 - No effect instance specified. 
Reverting to the default effect.
SAS: error X3539: ps_1_x is not supported in this version of the compiler
memory(114,32): ID3DXEffectCompiler::CompileEffect: There was an error compiling expression
ID3DXEffectCompiler: Compilation failed

SAS: Could not load effect 'Resource:#103'
Failed to load default material at mesh:㼀Ǩ蕿㺜Ȱă̈ material:0
My graphics card (Radeon 9800 Pro) supports VS and PS model 2.0 as I understand the problem is possibly related to the dropping of support for previous shader models. The thing is I am just trying to to view a texture mapped cube or whatever - I am not compiling shaders. Does anyone know what is happening?

Advertisement
I forget exactly which SDK version it was, but they recently swapped out the older D3D9 generation compiler for the newer D3D10 one. The newer compiler doesn't suppose 1.x targets unless you opt-in using a particular flag and link against an additional D3DX dll.

Anyway, it would seem that the default effect with DXViewer hasn't been updated in line with the newer compiler. Even if you're not explicitly using a shader the viewer will use it's default/implicit one which still requires compilation.

I'm pretty sure this was raised on DXDev and commented on as a future work-item for the MS team, so fingers crossed it'll be resolved soon enough. I've not tried it, but I'd imagine you can edit the default .fx file and change the shader model to ps_2_0 and vs_2_0 to avoid the problem....

hth
Jack

There appears to have been lots of similar problems, many suggesting that the newer (Apr and Feb 07) released fixed issues - personally, I'm on Apr 07 and have problems loading absolutely any texture.

It was suggested to download an older SDK version - I've downloaded Oct'06 last night, hopefully that'll free it up. It does indeed appear to be a transfer to some DX10 coding, perhaps also losing (accidentally?) some support for older non-DX9c cards, I'm not sure though. I'm using it on a laptop running XP, so the graphics won't be up to anything there!

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Anyway, it would seem that the default effect with DXViewer hasn't been updated in line with the newer compiler. Even if you're not explicitly using a shader the viewer will use it's default/implicit one which still requires compilation.

I'm pretty sure this was raised on DXDev and commented on as a future work-item for the MS team, so fingers crossed it'll be resolved soon enough. I've not tried it, but I'd imagine you can edit the default .fx file and change the shader model to ps_2_0 and vs_2_0 to avoid the problem....

hth
Jack

Ahh I see the problem. I had a look at the DXViewer source that comes with the SDK (($DirectXSDK)\Utilities\Source\DXViewer). This folder contains an FX file called "Default9.fx" and right at the bottom of this file is the following lines:

VertexShader = compile vs_1_1 VSStandard();
PixelShader = compile ps_1_1 PS();

No matter what I tried I couldn't get this project to recompile properly. On searching the web I see others have had the same problem. Without going in to too much detail here, the recompiled program crashed when running, gave memory errors and even complained about missing D3D10 DLLs etc. I tried various things to solve this including setting deffered loading of the missing DLLs, enabling the manifest file creation (which is for some reason set to "No" in the project settings). I did get it to run but it crashed on loading models >.>

As the "Default9.fx" file is a resource in the executable, I also just changed the above lines (vs_2_0 and ps_2_0) in the EXE directly using a resource hacker but this just caused it to crash even more.

I have resorted to using the Mesh Viewer that comes with the Irrlicht engine download but thought I would share my hair-tearing experience. Thanks for poitning me in the right direction.

Damn it seems that DX gets bigger & bigger... buggier & buggier every time

I have installed 3 different versions so far (dec, Feb, apr) and none of them WORK! goddamn... it's a fucking 500 MB download for nothing. I don't remember which version i had working before i re-formatted my notebook.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!