Blender and MMORPGs...

Started by
7 comments, last by Jarrod1937 16 years, 12 months ago
I am pretty good at Blender. Now, me and a couple of others would like to attempt an MMORPG ( Just like everyone else. ). We've got experience in game development. We've already made a few games 2D and 3D, but never with Blender. My friend tells me it would not be wise to use Blender to make the graphics. Now, I know NOTHING about coding, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me why it would be a bad choice?
Advertisement
if you mean Blender Game Engine, it is a suicide. It isn't meant for bigger projects and networking ones

if you mean Blender for model creation, then it is a very good choice, as Blender can export to various model file formats
OpenGL fanboy.
Ah that's what I was thinking. Yea, we were just talking about Blender for models.

Maybe he just misunderstood, now that I think about it. I didn't specify :P.
I think he just has no idea what he was talking about.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
I think he just has no idea what he was talking about.

That's a distinct possibility ;).
Blender is a perfectly fine 3D modeler to use. It exports to .X format for XNA/DirectX, as well as many other formats.

As well, I'm running a sort of experiment/tutorial creating a MMORPG by my lonesome. I will be using Blender for that as well. Feel free to follow the experiment by visiting my journal at:

Man vs. The MMORPG
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
""My friend tells me it would not be wise to use Blender to make the graphics.""

What would you use Maya or 3dSmax? Blender is totally equiped for game model creation (or sprites). I could show you my work if that helps.
The actual game programming should be c++ or something equal in my opinion.
Everything we created for our projects (content packs of static meshes for Torque) passed through Blender at least once during the art pipeline, and everything was exported from it as well. Amongst the many benefits we have found:

1. Free and easy to download.
2. Everyone can get a legit copy in a matter of minutes.
3. Everyone (Windows, Mac and Linux users all) can easily be on the same version of the software.
4. It is incredibly flexible and serves as a great hub program in the pipeline. It can import and export at will (at least with static meshes).
5. Many engines have actively developed exporters for Blender that will usually be updated before all other exporters with the exception of the max version.

Beyond that, I love it for modelling, unwrappng and animation, but that's just a taste thing and I doubt I could convince someone with different taste to switch.

Scott
Newfound Room -- Open your mind to open content.
i couldn't stand blenders gui, however it of course has all of the capabilities needed for mmorpg models... not sure where your friend got that idea.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement