Total NewbieQuestion

Started by
2 comments, last by realcore 16 years, 12 months ago
Hey guys, Iam a high schooler who has decided to start programming games, I have LOTS of AutoCAD and Photoshop experience, What programs and or books will get me started, I really want to do games that are either 3D or 2D no RPGs.
Advertisement
well firstly you need to learn to walk before you can run. picking up and learning a programming language is the first step.

the only purchasable resource i can recommend is

http://www.gametutorials.com/

however i allready knew c++ so i can't comment on the usefulness of the tutorials in that, but it also has c#, java, directX and openGL tutorials, so you get your moneys worth.

the only negative thing i'd say (having done the c# tutorials) is that they don't go too far into the logic of why things are done a certain way, just sort of 'this is how you do it'. In saying that there are schools of thought that say such comments would obfuscate the learning of the methods...so there ya go.

once you've found your language and api of choice, you can allways get more specific materials that explain how things are done.
Start by learning to program

python is an excellent language to learn to program with and has lots of resources available online. It's also powerful enough to be used to write full games. This would be my recommendation.

C# is also popular. There are fewer good online resources for learning it than for python but it's another reasonably popular language. Like python it can be used to make games when you get that far.

Someone is going to suggest that you learn C++ because it is "fast", "powerful", "used in lots of commercial games", "teh l33t" or any number of other reasons. I and many other members of this board recommend not learning C++ first. It's got lots of unusual quirks than don't apply to other languages, it generally takes longer to write programs in C++ than it does in other langauges (python, C#, Java etc), and while there are tons of online resources on learning c++ they are pretty terribly in general and it's way too easy to learn lots and lots of bad habits.

I for one learned C++ first and greatly regret it. It has railroaded the way I think about programming and tends to make me try and write code in other languages like python and c# just like c++ code which is bad.

Just my 2 cents
Hey. I'm guessing you haven't done any programming before, and as such would recommend you starting out with python. You can find tons of information on www.python.org

In order to actually make games, a library to do graphics and such would be nice. Check out pygame at www.pygame.org

Both these sites have tutorials that should get you started. However, a word of advice: You will want to start small. It has been said before, and I'll say it again. Don't expect to make the next WOW just yet. Most tutorials will have you printing text and things like that. Not really exiting, but thats how it is. Just stick with it, and you'll get there. Good luck with your quest.
if ( youreHappyAndYouKnowIt ) clapYourHands;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement