• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
spaceJockey123

[web] PHP, how to put array into a MySQL query?

This topic is 4076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Suppose I have a combo box from a form. I assign all the elements of the combo box to an array in PHP. Next I want to do a query that involves all the elements from the array. e.g. SELECT Film FROM table1 WHERE (actor=arrayelement1 and actor=arrayelement2 and actor=arrayelement3) Is there a simple way to do this for a whole array?

Advertisement
$newarray = array();
foreach ($array as $element)
{
$newarray[] = "actor = '" . mysql_real_escape_quote($element) . "'";
}

$query = "SELECT Film FROM table 1 WHERE (" . implode(" OR ",$newarray) . ")";

Alternatively:

foreach ($array as &$element)
$element = "'" . mysql_real_escape_quote($element) . "'";

$query = "SELECT Film FROM table 1 WHERE actor IN (" . implode(",", $array) . ")";

I prefer IN clauses over multiple OR's on the same field.

I'm getting

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_real_escape_quote()"

There aren't any tutorials for this on the web which I find strange. I would've thought that this was a common thing for websites.

ok forget the question I asked before, I've found a way around that. But suppose I'm doing a search facility and once I've gotten the results from the first query i.e. films with certain actors

I want to match that with a query from another table. I.e. films above a certain price, released after this year etc.

Would I need to somehow put the results from the first query back into the array or connect to multiple tables?

Just a note, PHP best practices suggest that you use the sprintf function, so it'd actually be:

$query = sprintf("SELECT Film FROM table 1 WHERE actor IN ({1})", implode(",", $array));

(that would only work if your values are all numeric, otherwise put quotes around the values.

sprintf doesn't replace {1} but expects formatting like %d, %s, etcetera. Also, sprintf doesn't escape anything, opening you up to SQL injection attacks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!