• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
d000hg

Internships with game development companies (UK-specific)?

This topic is 4254 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Someone asked me if it's possible to get an internship with a UK games studio, I think this is unusual but was interested to come and ask myself. Does this happen at all? Is it the kind of thing recruiters would deal with?

Advertisement
Hi,
Last year i was required by my universtiy to do a placement. I study computing visualisation and want to enter the games industry once completed. I applied to lots of gamed companies and alot dont take placements. If they do take placements then its only the best that get them. I managed to get to the second stage of interviews at one place but didn't have enough c++ knowlodge at the time. I managed to skip doing a placement and intend to do a masters instead.

If you are looking to get a placement my advise is to apply everywhere and have some really good code to show them, but places are limited.

Hope that helps alittle

Smaller companies aren't often set up to handle placements but most larger studios do it. However, as colinolivant said places are limited. You have to apply well in advance and be good/have a decent portfolio to show.

EA started one last year and I think they're planning to expand it this year. Get in touch with the UK studios and ask a few questions - there'll be someone in the HR department who'll know what the plans are.

Hi, obviously you are not in the situation to apply for a placement, and thanks for the article on texturing heightmaps. It helped a lot especially in my final year project.
I think the best way to get into the games industry now days is to get a masters degree. It teachers you the required knowledge that is aimed at specially games programming. The masters I’m planning on doing is sponsored by codemaster and they come and teach a few lessons and give some people jobs at the end of the year.

Hope that helps a little more

As mentioned earlier, EA, Lionhead, Climax, Blitz and Codemasters (at least) all do internships for summer. Either talk to companies directly or get your University to apply on your behalf (especially if they have contacts inside the industry).

doo-doo,
No, internships are not unusual. And no, recruiters do not get involved in helping people find internships.

Is there a current directory of game studios anywhere? There used to be a few years back but I don't remember where it is or if it was being maintained.

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Is there a current directory of game studios anywhere? There used to be a few years back but I don't remember where it is or if it was being maintained.

Whole lotta links to game company directories:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/links.htm
How to find a whole lot more:
http://www.googleguide.com/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!