• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Brutus23

OpenGL HL .map file into OpenGL

This topic is 4253 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all :] I'm using Valve's Hammer Editor and I have 2 options... 1) Does anyone know of a tutorial or a guide somewhere on how to load the .map file it can export into my OpenGL application? Am I right in saying I would also need to load in sprites with the .map format as well as all the textures etc to be able to render it? :S 2) I think I can convert the .map files into .bsp files.... would that mean I wouldn't have to load in all the sprite files as well because they're built in to the .bsp? Anyone any idea how read in these .bsp files into my program? There is another option... 3D World Studio. Looks like a really good application. Anyone used this and managed to get the map they made into their program? Thanks, any information appreciated! :D Brutus

Advertisement
You'll not find a .map to OpenGL tutorial anywhere. Trust me. The map format is pretty odd for one, I use it in a game I'm working on at the moment. Each convex brush is defined as a set of planes, to get the vertices you intersect all those planes, and you need to order the vertices, then you can make polygons out of them.

I use the format that quake 3 uses, but the differences are minimal:
Half-life MAP Format

There are plenty of articles about that file format, you just need to know that HAMMER'S predecessor was called WORLDCRAFT

here is a link to an very old article, the face parameters(shift, rotate ...) are probably now correct anymore, but building some sample .maps with certain parameter constellations will certainly help you to figure out what each one does

A .map file loading article

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!