• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gjaegy

running on 2 video cards

This topic is 4175 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I am trying to get my application running on two monitors, each monitor being driven by one of the two graphic cards of the PC. So there is no multihead, but two physical cards. I tried to create 2 devices, but I can't manage to have them working. Does anybody knows how to achieve this? Do I have to specify one HWND for each device? Do I have to create the IDirect3D9 objects as well? I have already tried all cominations, but it doesn't work... I would really appreciate any input... thanks guys, Greg

Advertisement
You should have one IDirect3D9 and two IDirect3DDevice9 instances. Make sure that hFocusWindow and hDeviceWindow of both devices is set to a single, top window (remember to set Windowed to false).

If it still doesn't work, then please show us your initialization code.

OFF TOPIC: How can one use two graphics cards in one machine? All motherboards I've seen have one AGP or PCI-Express slot, and the onboard graphics card is disabled (if present) if the slot is used.

Quote:
Original post by hikikomori-san
OFF TOPIC: How can one use two graphics cards in one machine? All motherboards I've seen have one AGP or PCI-Express slot, and the onboard graphics card is disabled (if present) if the slot is used.

Trying not to stray too far from the OP's post here, I'll keep this short:

Any SLI/Crossfire enabled card has 2 or more PCI-Express slots. In addition, before the age of AGP, PCI graphics cards were common. If you still have a GF1 PCI card, you can still pop it in the regular PCI slot and use it as a secondary card.
(if you have more questions about this, it'd be appropriate to start a new thread, probably in the Hardware Discussion forum)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!