[web] php upload, without file size limitations

Started by
4 comments, last by markadrake 17 years ago
First, I'm on shared hosting from 1and1, so any responses that involve changing my server's settings arn't going to help me That asside, here's what i'm trying to do. I need a way for one of my developers to be able to upload files to our webserver, wether i'm around or not. I only have 1 FTP account with 1and1, and i'm not gonna give that to him. I've downloaded a couple of php upload scripts from hotscripts, and they all work fine, up to about 8 or 10 megs (i havn't fully tested what size breaks it yet) Beyond that size, the script just ends without any output message. i'm not sure if this is a filesize limitation, or if the script is timing out. Is there a better or different way to facilitate uploading files? how does youtube do it? that's an applet of some kind, right?
Advertisement
The HTTP POST size limit is a server setting. And if you are already on cheap hosting, you aren't going to be running any applets, as that would require a custom program running on the server that isn't yours (opening up ports that are not yours).
Yup, damn, your right. 1and1 only allows up to 10M, max.
Not the ideal solution, but you could compress and split your files in to several parts using something like Winrar and upload the seperate parts.

HTH,
Cambo_frog
For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.
I know you can once the file is on the filesystem but I don't know if it's possible during an upload...

There is a way to "grab" a file and start at a certin byte and end at a certain byte. I'm wondering if you could do the same for these large files - but I don't know how you'd work that into the upload script.

You'd have to grab the first so many bytes, and continue until there is no more to grab. Keep appending the file with the data instead of writing.

Like I said I don't know if this possible on an upload script. I'm sure there are methods of doing this if you build an applet.
Mark A. Drake
OnSlaught Games
Mark Drake
I'm knee-deep in a project today but you could take a look at

http://www.raditha.com/megaupload/upload.php

(I've pointed you to the FAQ page, which I was reading up on the required changes to make to his script to bypass php limits without editing php.ini....)

Good luck.
Mark A. Drake
OnSlaught Games
Mark Drake

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement