• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Orrill

Choosing a compiler.

This topic is 4075 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm new here and this is my first post, so a big hello to everyone. I've been learning c++ mainly from online tutorials and like all or most people on this forum would like to head towards game development, I hope to learn to use openGL and directX in the windows environment, follow examples and learning from a book recommended by this site, OpenGL game programming; http://www.amazon.co.uk/OpenGL-Game-Programming-Development/dp/0761533303 I have been using the free VS++ Express edition IDE from microsoft but the more I read about it, the more I realise that it may not be ideal for what I would like to do. So the obvious question is, which compiler is best for me? I have been looking at Dev-c++ from bloodshed software, can this compiler do everything I'll be needed (at least for now) or is it worth shelling out a bit of cash for the full version of Visual c++? thanks for any replies in advance, cheers, Gareth.

Advertisement
I suppose the main question would be, what is VC++ Express lacking that is causing you to look elsewhere?

Regards,
ViLiO

It just seems a nightmare to update header, library, SDK files etc, I've read a few other threads on various forums, the answer was to typically use a different compiler and import the appropriate files for that compiler from fresh.

Maybe VC++ Express can fully work with opengl and its just me struggling to get the correct files and installing them properly?

VC++ 2005 Express can indeed work fully with OpenGL and the installation instructions on msdn are really very verbose. All you need is VC++ Express and the Platform SDK and you should be able to develop Win32 OpenGL apps with no problems.

Here is a link to the instructions for using the Platform SDK with VC++ Express:
Using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition with the Microsoft Platform SDK

Regards,
ViLiO

Thanks for the info ViLiO, I'm gonna re-install, follow the instructions and have another crack at it. wish me luck.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!