Upcoming game technologies

Started by
3 comments, last by shirsoft 16 years, 11 months ago
I have some idea about the various technologies that prevalent in the current games. But i am not sure what different technologies would become popular in the near future(next 2-3 yrs). Any pointers would be very helpful. Thanks
The longest battle is the battle within
Advertisement
PhysX?

Also, with the way that processors are going multi-threading is going to start being a bigger thing.

Edit: Erm, where did the original poster's post go?
actually i would like to elaborate a little more on the areas i am focusing on

1. Visibility algorithms: Would bsp be still in use on some image based culling techniques become popular
2. What new lighting models would come for both static and dynamic lighting
3. Dynamic rendered organics
4. Post processing effects

My knowledge is also quite limited so i might not be using correct terms
Quote:Original post by shirsoft
actually i would like to elaborate a little more on the areas i am focusing on

1. Visibility algorithms: Would bsp be still in use on some image based culling techniques become popular
2. What new lighting models would come for both static and dynamic lighting
3. Dynamic rendered organics
4. Post processing effects

My knowledge is also quite limited so i might not be using correct terms

1. BSP is great for static stuff, but not so great for moving and dynamically modifiable stuff. Secondary animation and deformable things will become more prevalent - there are more appropriate data structures and algorithms. Also, on PC draw-call count is a big problem, on console it can still be a problem, it is (and has been for the past 8 or so years) more efficient to be slightly less accurate with visibility (let the graphics hardware cull more) to reduce the number of draw calls (increasing the batch size). There isn't a one-size-fits-all visibility system; related to that, don't blindly follow what one vocal game developer is using expecting it to be the best fit for your game. Indoor!=Outdoor, City!=Mountains, ...

2. www.siggraph.org - it's where you'll find out about new graphics techniques. Some presented at the conference will be realtime already; others presented 15-20 years ago still aren't realtime yet. Global illumination - many of the techniques have the goal of making it or some part of it work in real time.

3. www.siggraph.org, www.vterrain.org. Secondary animation. Deformation. Hardware instancing. Surface shading techniques (translucency, PRT, etc).

4. see 2. Watch what post process effects the big CG houses are using for Hollywood films and TV. Something that takes 1s per frame for an offline processor this year you may be able to approximate or even do properly in 2ms realtime per frame next year.

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

thanks guys!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement