• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JDSoft

Space Fence

This topic is 4073 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm designing a space sim game, but I need to keep players from traveling outside the "game universe". It's simple enough when you have gravity, you can put up a fence, but you can't just put up a fence in space. Any ideas?

Advertisement
You could do something like in Mario64. In that there was a staircase that was animated like you were walking up it
but it never actually took you anywhere.
So, you could hit the barrier, and have it look like they are still moving, but dont acutally move their ship anymore.

Or have a warning: "You are leaving the safety of known space!", and spawn something like a black hole on them
destroying them if they venture too far out.

Those are good ideas. I was thinking of something like KulSeran said, having a message say something ominous, like "You are now leaving federation protected space", and then have the player destroyed by "space pirates" if they don't turn back.

Quote:
Original post by JDSoft
Those are good ideas. I was thinking of something like KulSeran said, having a message say something ominous, like "You are now leaving federation protected space", and then have the player destroyed by "space pirates" if they don't turn back.

Problem with that is the idea of fighting space pirates sounds a little too fun to be fearsome. Additionally, the populus of your game may develop a negative complex in response to the mythical god-like space pirates that encapsulate their known universe. I'd avoid using non-sensical means, unless you don't mind your game being unrealistic.

I'd give your user some legitimate reason for not wanting to exit the bounds you've defined. Maybe your game can have quadrants of space that require a certain license to enter. You could have space police around the universe ready to penalyze those entering quadrants without a proper license.. Your user gets a bit too close to a quadrant (or just some boundary that you specified as completely off-limits for users) he has no license for and suddenly a voice pops up on the com-link, "Pilot Dood, We have detected you do not have blah blah turn around now or blah blah arrested." etc.

The populus would develop a negative police complex, but at least it's coming from some safe-keeper body that's technically on your side.

There could be the classic "Galactic Barrier" that keeps the player in, using the excuse that it's keeping something dangerous out, maybe a radiation wave or something. Think Star Trek.

You could also just put a giant empty space around the known universe, several Sci-Fi stories that I know of have empires expanding to fill a galaxy but no farther due to the insane distances involved. You could do this, just on a smaller scale.

A message saying "ETA 10,047 Years to next star system" would probably work, and you could put up an invisible wall or one of the other effects mention just in case.

Quote:
Original post by bdoskocil

Or you appear at the opposite edge?

I like what bdoskocil said. Everyone used to wonder that if when you hit the edge of the universe you would just pop up on the other side.

Also you could have an Astroid Belt. Give a warning that they are entering unsafe areas and then make a visible astroid belt. If they still enter they just get hit and blow up.

What is the mode of ship travel?

Something that I've been using in the space game I'm picking away at is, the engines have greater risk of failing to work if you go outside set bounds, the farther away you go, the more likely they are to stop working, or warp space and dump you some where rather random (such as the centre of a sun, which is usually a reason to declare it a bad day)

Also gives me an option of giving some 'risky' options to the player and NPCs, of travelling and living in the 'red jump zone', where moving ships is likely to cause problems.

My instincts are that it disappears off the scanners and beyond feasible remote control, so the fail-safe engages which brings it back. That should be a good enough explanation.

Maybe you can take advantage of the game design, to force the player to stay in the area, ex: if there is a certain objective to protect or destroy, give it a time (and if the time passes, the player will lose) ... so let him fly away, but give him a warning (something "you're too far from your taret" ... or ...).
This way no player can get too far away because a "mission lost" status will stop the game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!