• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Firestorm ZERO

Statically Linked

This topic is 4081 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to statically link the DirectX DLLs to the executeable? Because I am using the latest SDK but my instructor is using an older version. It gives like error cannot find d3dx9_32.dll. And she wants to be able to run it without having to update. Can this be done?

Advertisement
I'm honestly not sure. My guess is no...

I know that doesn't really help, so I'll suggest this. As long as you are using features compatible with the older version, could you not just request the older interface (ie, DX 8) in stead of dx 9?

Just a shot in the dark...

Quote:
Original post by Firestorm ZERO
Is it possible to statically link the DirectX DLLs to the executeable?
[...]
Can this be done?

My understanding of the DirectX SDK license says that you can't redistribute any components that way. The only real way to update components you need is by using the provided API to install them. The DirectX SDK allows you to install components with the DirectXSetup API (see the SDK's documentation for more information about this). Also, there's a sample called "DirectX Install" in the SDK showing how to do this (I've never actually done it though).

Quote:
DXInstall is an example of how to use DirectXSetup interfaces to install the DirectX subsystem and DirectX drivers. It shows how to use a callback function to present messages and get user input through a custom interface, in this case a simple modeless dialog box.

Installing the runtime that way will allow her to run the application you compiled. But, since the problem seems to be the runtime missing a D3DX dll you could give her the source code. Then she could probably recompile and run it without updating anything (normally it should be tested to make sure everything runs perfectly).

JFF

Ok. Thanks for the info.

Yeah I sent her a make file + source code so she will be able to compile it.

BTW what is the reason MS started with additional DLLs? Like d3dx9_30, d3dx9_31, etc. with each SDK update? Why couldn't they just reuse d3dx9.dll?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!