i'm lost in rays

Started by
1 comment, last by thedisabled 16 years, 12 months ago
Well let me give u a little background first. I'm a computer administrator with limited programming skills. I started working with flash in my off time about 4 years ago. My wife asked me if i could program a game for her. And i said that i had never done it, but i wouldn't mind the challenge. So about a week later i let her play a quick level of a platform game i created in flash for her. and a couple little puzzle games, where i found tutorials on. But she said it was "good", but really wanted a game like all the other ones she sees coming out. Ok with that said, i looked around the internet and i heard about raycasting. Because i know that flash is only a 2D environment, i figured it would work great. So 4 weeks later, i have a maze. Nothing else. Just a maze. I can't figure out how to put NPC's in my game. Cause i started with a tutorial and a prototype, and an explianation on raycasting i found on the internet. Because i do like a challenge (which is the real reason i am creating the game) i want to switch over to C++ and work my way up to where i am at now and gain more control over my games. My question is though, how do i find full tutorials on making the simple games like tetris and mario brothers, so i can make my way into a more realistic gaming world? Or should i just stick with flash? thanks. And sorry about the length.
Advertisement
Raycasting, as employed by Doom and successors, exploited a quirk in what was then the most viable graphics mode, Mode X. It not only allowed simulation of 3D worlds, but did it in a way that was perfect for hardware. I believe that no modern graphics system supports anything similar.

Using raycasting as base of rendering system in any platform today is probably unsuitable. It implied vertical scanlines (all graphics hardware today uses horizontal), and small screen width (320 pixels). While system can technically be scaled, it isn't really viable.

For tutorials, look around this site, there's plenty of them.
Thanks. I really appreciate the help. I'm still searching for basic tutorials around the web. But i did find a few online books to help me out. Thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement