• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
johnnyBravo

Is this portable usb harddrive any good?

This topic is 4077 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm going to buy a portable usb hard drive, one of those 2.5in types, and a hopefully silent one. Does anyone know if this one is any good: WD Passport WDXMS1600 - Hard drive - 160 GB - external - 2.5" - Hi-Speed USB - 5400 rpm link, cnet It weights 105 g Has a Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) motor, I don't know if this makes much of a difference, supposely its quieter and more durable. costs $199.00AUD Though I dislike its connection method, it has one of those giant usb type B plugs that go into the device, and you have to open up some panel to get at the plug, which might wear out. or could someone recommend me one? thx

Advertisement
I paid significantly less for a 250GB 3.5" external.

Maybe look at 2.5" enclosures and then price out 2.5" drives to go with them; see if that's cheaper.

I like ravuyas idea. Check THIS out. Those things are dirt cheap. I don't know if newegg ships to CA though. And of course, you'd have to get a 2.5"(laptop) harddrive to go in it, but I think even then it would still be cheaper.

yeah the 3.5inch ones are much cheaper, but unlike 2.5inc they require a power cable, I've actually got one of those external cases.

I just checked the reviews on new egg, the hard drive seems to have bad power issues, thanks for that

I have the 100GB Passport. I like it because it fits in my pocket and will power itself entirely on the USB cable (if you're using a desktop, I'm not sure about when using it on a laptop). It's pretty much silent. I haven't had a single problem with it for the year(?) I've had it.

Like you said, the 'rubber flap' covering the USB port was annoying, so I removed it. Even so, it doesn't get very dirty even though I carry it in my pocket to work every day.

It's definitely more expensive than other external drives, but it's the one I like the best due to its size.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!