• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
3dcgmodeling

ostream_iterator

This topic is 4172 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

copy(A.begin(), A.end(), ostream_iterator<const char*>(cout, "\n")); ostream_iterator is class and ostream_iterator<const char*>(cout, "\n") create a temp object and call a constructor with parameter cout and "\n".do I guess right? I know copy use instance of ostream_iterator to traverse A.begin() to A.end(). but How does ostream_iterator know A? it seem no parameter(information) passed to ostream_iterator.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by 3dcgmodeling
ostream_iterator is class and ostream_iterator<const char*>(cout, "\n") create a temp object and call a constructor with parameter cout and "\n".do I guess right?
Yes.
Quote:
I know copy use instance of ostream_iterator to traverse A.begin() to A.end(). but How does ostream_iterator know A? it seem no parameter(information) passed to ostream_iterator.
The ostream_iterator isn't traversing A, the copy function is (or more precisely, it is telling an iterator to). The copy function is calling member functions on the ostream_iterator to pass the elements it copies from A. The ostream_iterator only needs to know the type of the elements, which is provided in the template parameter <const char*>.

To make it easier, think of the flow of information in terms of "push" and "pull". You can push information to an object in function arguments. You can pull information out of an object from return values from functions. The copy function pulls information out of A (through the iterators), and pushes it to the ostream_iterator.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!