• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
coder84

3D Modeling

This topic is 4173 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, I'll give a *little* background about the problem I have. I'm (or was) developing a 2D RPG. Although I'm not even close to be an expert in 2D Artwork, I have a lot more experience with it than with 3D Modeling. But serious doubts came to my mind when I started to think that: 1. Ol' School 2D graphics were enough for independent developers ten years ago... But today, with all the support and tools necessary to make 3D modeling easier, 2D its not an option. 2. I'm starting to believe that 3D its easier. If I want to animate an object its really easier than with 2D, where you must make new sprites proportional with each other. But when considering the possibility of moving to 3D, I predicted some problems: 1. It is EXTREMELY difficult (at least for me) 3D modeling. I can't even think about making for example a wolf, a troll, the small objects, anything. 2. I had some kind of organization with 2D graphics that I don't think I'll reach with 3D graphics. Let me explain this. I used to use a two-dimensional grid and I used 32^2 pixel sprites, so I was able to check collisions really easier, I could pathfind also easier, etc. 3. I want strategy and tactics in my RPG, not just action. Course I also want some but I DON'T want that pure special-effects kind of game. It really pisses me off. So, my questions are: 1. What do you think, should I move to 3D or not? 2. If I do, is it possible to have 3D strategical games? To have a kind of grid or restriction for my moves? To NOT walk trough all the other players? 3. How could I improve my 3D Modeling skills? Do you know some kind of tutorial to make specifically RPG models? Anticipated thanks!

Advertisement
I think the root of your problem is that you're looking for an easy way out. There is no such thing. 3D modeling is no less difficult of an art then animating 2D sprites. Both are going to take mountains of time to get proficient at. In response to the last question you asked, the answer is the same for any subject, PRACTICE

Learning to program 3D is a whole new host of problems and solutions from 2D, and worrying about one microcosm such as 3D collision detection is worthless. Obviously 3D objects can collide, they just do it much much differently then 2D sprites do.

One last thing, saying 2D is not an option is naive. I could give a million reasons why.

Quote:
I think the root of your problem is that you're looking for an easy way out. There is no such thing. 3D modeling is no less difficult of an art then animating 2D sprites. Both are going to take mountains of time to get proficient at. In response to the last question you asked, the answer is the same for any subject, PRACTICE

True, but as my name says I'm a coder, not a designer. For a long time I tried to make a group to make an RPG. When doing that most people said that nobody is going to listen to me, because I have nothing to show. To 'have something to show' implies to have graphics from a start. And I don't.

So, of course I'm looking for an easy way. If I have to get into programming, sound, storyline, webpage *and* graphics, I'm not looking for make myself an expert on all that, I just want to be able to do what is needed in the shortest time.

Quote:
Learning to program 3D is a whole new host of problems and solutions from 2D, and worrying about one microcosm such as 3D collision detection is worthless. Obviously 3D objects can collide, they just do it much much differently then 2D sprites do.

Thats true. But you misunderstand me. What I was trying to say is that I want to have a strategy/tactical game and not the special-effects game with nice graphics, where the objective is blowing everything off. And 2D is easier for that. Pathfinding, collision are just examples.

Quote:
One last thing, saying 2D is not an option is naive. I could give a million reasons why.

2D REAL graphics yes, but Old School 2D graphics aren't certainly an option. If at least I had good 2D artwork, then yes, but with my current skills, I can't. And to make 2D REAL graphics implies to become an expert in the subject, what again, I'm not looking forward to.

Thanks for answering.

Quote:
1. It is EXTREMELY difficult (at least for me) 3D modeling. I can't even think about making for example a wolf, a troll, the small objects, anything.

That's one thing that just takes time to learn. I suggest downloading blender (unless you have something better) and just doing every tutorial you can find on the web. That's how I got started with 3D modelling. If there are any classes available, that'd also be an excellent way to learn modelling. I took a summer course up at DigiPen (a college in washington) and it helped me greatly with modelling characters. The "in person" aspect really helps, so if you know anybody who does 3d modelling you should try to contact them. You could always get someone to do models for you, I suppose.

Quote:
2. I had some kind of organization with 2D graphics that I don't think I'll reach with 3D graphics. Let me explain this. I used to use a two-dimensional grid and I used 32^2 pixel sprites, so I was able to check collisions really easier, I could pathfind also easier, etc.

Who said you can't stick with 2D organization? Just don't do collision detection on the Z axis. If you've ever played RuneScape, you'll know what I mean. It may not be quite what you're aiming for, but if you're thinking about doing a 2d game in the first place, it certianly wouldn't take anything away from 3d. The only things that would be harder are probably the interaction part, for example 3d click-detection is harder than 2d. But even that isn't very hard to figure out with some basic math. And with pathfinding, the A* algorithm works just great in 3d games.

Quote:
3. I want strategy and tactics in my RPG, not just action. Course I also want some but I DON'T want that pure special-effects kind of game. It really pisses me off.

No reason why you couldn't do this in 3d.

Quote:
1. What do you think, should I move to 3D or not?

It's up to you, but the things you mentioned above (other than modelling, I guess) could work pretty much the same in 3d as 2d.

Quote:
2. If I do, is it possible to have 3D strategical games? To have a kind of grid or restriction for my moves? To NOT walk trough all the other players?

Definately.

Quote:
3. How could I improve my 3D Modeling skills? Do you know some kind of tutorial to make specifically RPG models?

I'd buy a book on the subject. You could also google stuff like "low-polygon modelling tutorial". I know there's tons of blender tutorials out there. You could start here http://www.blender.org/tutorials-help/tutorials/

Good luck with your project!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!