• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Metallic Cloud

Creating a cylinder without GLU

This topic is 4251 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, For an assignment I need to make a cylinder, specifying the vertices and faces myself. I have most of the code already...(Isn't as much code as it looks, a lot of comments) cylinder::cylinder(short meshDensity){ short resolution; resolution = meshDensity; setColour(1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0); vertexCount = (resolution * (resolution-1)) + 2; faceCount = (resolution * (resolution - 2)) + (resolution * 2); // allocate memory for the vertex and face lists vertices = new vertex[vertexCount]; faces = new face[faceCount]; if ((vertices == 0L) || (faces == 0L)) fatal("cylinder constructor couldn't allocate a vertex and/or face array (out of memory?)"); // now generate the vertex data // we do this with a single loop that calculates a coordinate at each end of the cylinder // (the X and Z values will be the same at the top and bottom - only the Y value changes) for (short i=0; i<meshDensity; i++) { float angle = i * (360.0 / meshDensity); vertices.set (cos_d(angle), 1.0, sin_d(angle)); // a vertex at the top // note here that when we calculate the second vertex it's not the next vertex in the array, // but instead is offset by the mesh density vertices[i+meshDensity].set (cos_d(angle), -1.0, sin_d(angle)); // a vertex at the bottom } // we're going to need these two values in several places from now on, so calculate them once here // (it's the vertex number for the top and bottom centre point of each disc) short topPt = meshDensity * 2; short botPt = meshDensity * 2 + 1; // once the vertices on the disc at each end of the cylinder have been generated, there // are two more vertices to generate - the centre points of each disc // these two extra vertices go to the end of the vertex list vertices[topPt].set(0, 1.0, 0); vertices[botPt].set(0, -1.0, 0); // next, generate the face linking information // we use a single loop here that sweeps once around the cylinder, and at each iteration generates // face linking for a face along the length, and then at each end for (short i=0; i<meshDensity; i++) { // in this loop, "i" is marching around the perimeter of the cylinder, one vertex at a time // we use "i" and the "next vertex past i" as starting points - we need to ensure that // the "next vertex past i" wraps around the current disc, so let's precalculate that // value first short j = (i + 1) % meshDensity; // now generate the first face (a four-sided face that runs the length of the cylinder) faces.init(i, j, j+meshDensity, i+meshDensity); // next, generate a triangle at the top end of the cylinder faces[i + meshDensity].init(i, topPt, j); // finally, generate a triangle at the bottom end of the cylinder faces[i + (2 * meshDensity)].init(i + meshDensity, j + meshDensity, botPt); } calculateVertexNormals(); ******************************************************************************* What I am having trouble with is how to use these vertices to create the cylinder. I thought it would be something like this... glBegin(GL_QUAD_STRIP); for (short i=0; i<meshDensity; i++) { glNormal3fv(vertices.normal.data); glVertex3fv(vertices.coordinate.data); glNormal3fv(vertices[i+meshDensity].normal.data); glVertex3fv(vertices[i+meshDensity].coordinate.data); } glEnd(); But that doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
Hi,

Given that this IS an assignment, it wouldn't be in your interests to give you a solution. However you may want to google something like "cylinderical coordinates".

MAMEman.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!