• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
l0cke

help getting started

This topic is 4171 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'm a student majoring in computer science, minoring in music and I'd eventually like to work with games (programming and sound particularly interest me). I would like to start some very small, simple game projects of my own, and eventually find a small group/team project to be a part of. I know the basics of C++ (arrays, pointers, classes, linked lists, searching/sorting, etc.) However, I've never programmed a game. I've read around the site a little bit, and I came across the thread on making a tetris clone, which seems like a good place to start. I know I've got a lot of reading to do, there seems to be a lot of information in the articles section of the site as well as the forums. There's so much information though that it's kind of intimidating and I don't know where to start! Any advice, or recommended threads/articles?

Advertisement
My first piece of advice, is don't be intimidated. Just dive right in, whats the worst that could happen?

But anyway, I HIGHLY reccomend SDL (http://www.libsdl.org/). You will be drawing bitmaps on the screen in no time at all, and that is very rewarding. Once you get a bitmap to draw on the screen, the rest will come avalanching in.

Here is a wonderful tutorial to start with:

http://cone3d.gamedev.net/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=tutorials/gfxsdl/index

Some people might say start with directX, but ignore them. It takes too much experience to set up and understand. Good luck!

I say before you start anything, start planning your game. Categorize everything that you need to do(move blocks, switch levels, create blocks, etc). Be general in the beginning, then you can start writing psuedocode in later and then finally transition to actual code. Then when you get to a point that you are stuck, come back here and post, someone will be able to help you out. Once you complete your game, post it for critique.

Quote:
Original post by dwillynt
I say before you start anything, start planning your game. Categorize everything that you need to do(move blocks, switch levels, create blocks, etc). Be general in the beginning, then you can start writing psuedocode in later and then finally transition to actual code. Then when you get to a point that you are stuck, come back here and post, someone will be able to help you out. Once you complete your game, post it for critique.

Thar be gold in them hills...

Good advice all around. Especially the part about posting here, both when you get stuck and when you finish it. Most of the learning comes from seeing what you did wrong, and how you can improve your design. After learning the syntax, it's the intricacies of the language and design that take the time and effort, and there are plenty of people here who enjoy helping others tackle these particular hurdles.

Best of luck!
-jouley

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!