• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Damocles

animated mesh formats - options?

This topic is 4255 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I just spent the last few days making lib3ds work, only to discover that the .3ds formant doesn't support animation! So now I'm looking for a new mesh format. What I need is a C/C++ library that will load in the vertex,uv,normal data for each keyframe of an animation (I don't need bones systems) and isn't bloated with a ton of other features. I've been looking at md3, which seems like a good choice, except every library I find is integrated into a complete game engine, when what I need is just the library. The downside to md3 seems to be the hassle of setting up md3s with the skin files and the defined animation names. Anyone know of a good md3 importer? Or perhaps of a game library with a stand-alone md3 importer? Alternatively, anyone know of a good mesh format with associated import library? I looked at cal3d, but that seems more geared towards bones, I'm not sure if it will read in just the keyframe data.

Advertisement
You might want to take a look at fbx (Autodesk), collada (Open Source), or FLTK (XSI), all are very capable standalone libraries that carry all kind of information for your geometry (including animation)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!